blk12svt

Michelin death wobble??

Thanks Viper. I was expecting a little "manageable" fish tailing, but it amazes me how the thing goes so straight when you gas it now.

Thanks Viper. I was expecting a little "manageable" fish tailing, but it amazes me how the thing goes so straight when you gas it now.

Good for you. Always feels great when the car does what you want it to. The Goodyear's that came with mine were awful and it tried to fishtail all the time. My Michelin's will light it up, but the car hooks up and goes where I point it. Have fun!

Great info guys.

I have recently switched out the stock goodyears for custom wheels and 325/30/20 sport cup 2's. These get great traction compared to the goodyears. But now when I shift into 3rd gear and give it full throttle at 90 MPH, the death wobble comes on like crazy and I have to let off. It's a puckering experience.

Has anyone had this happen with Sport cup 2's as well?

Thanks

At first I thought most people’s problems may be in the suspension, but it seems this Michelin issue is in more than just the GT500. There appears to be some Dodge Hellcats as well as some Corvettes experiencing similar issues. There is a fair amount of internet chatter about it and I am surprised Michelin hasn’t responded. I couldn’t find anywhere on the net that they are responding.

Unfortunately most people that are complaining about it are giving tire sizes and car types. It would be helpful if people would also list the date codes on their tires. That would help start narrowing down if it might have been a bad production run centered around a particular point in time of manufacture. Hopefully more people will start listing date codes so a consensus may be built around a time span.

I wonder too if it is just in very high horsepower cars and the car’s tires may be fine until they put the tire through some very hard runs and perhaps the torque is stressing the sidewall and internal belting to a point that they deform and don’t return to normal and the “death wobble” then occurs.

The 295 Michelin Pilot Super Sports also come in three different oem applications, two for Ferrari and one for Porsche, could the difference in the sidewall load ratings and an incorrect tire installed contribute to this wobble issue?

One of the Ferrari tires has "K1" in a circle on the sidewall info., the Porsche has 'NO" and I would have to look at my tires to identify the second Ferrari sidewall indicator. Since Michelin did not spec. a "one fits all" 295 tire, does that make a difference on the rear of a high HP GT500?

R

Edited by Robert M

Hi all.

New post on old topic. I have 325/30/20 Michelin Sport Cup 2's on 11 inch wheels and get a bad death wobble when I shift into 3rd gear and give it full throttle. 

I heard of this many times with the pilot super sports. Has anyone else had or heard of this with the Sport Cup 2's?

Thanks