• Announcements

• Staff

ABOUT TEAM SHELBY   01/01/2007

Member Benefits:   First, there's the Team Shelby swag. No other club packs your membership kit with more than Team Shelby! Whether you are a renewing member or new to the “family” of Shelby enthusiast worldwide, our goal is to help you enjoy a high-octane lifestyle!   From a Unique Membership Card, Shelby Annual Magazine, Team Shelby Hat, Collector Coin, Team Shelby T-Shirt, Windshield Cling, Team Shelby License Plate Frame, Lapel Pin and Magnet, the contents of your Team Shelby Membership Kit more than pay for your membership alone!   In addition, your membership includes:   Exclusive Access to Team Shelby Member Forums.   10% discounts at Carroll Shelby's Stores in Las Vegas and Los Angeles.   Driving Experiences.   Invitations to Exclusive Team Shelby Member Events.   Insider information from Shelby American.   Affiliate Partner Discounts.   Updated February 16, 2017. Team Shelby Club 2018 Team Shelby Membership Kit Please note that membership contents are subject to change.   Team Shelby was designed and engineered by real enthusiasts inside and out of Shelby.   Team Shelby was originally formed in 2008 by Carroll Shelby. He wanted to create a club for people to truly enjoy their cars. He knew the world had changed, and he wanted his companies to meet the needs of the new generation of Shelby owners. His vision was to knit together those people with the owners of early Shelby's and give everyone fun new ways to experience their high performance vehicles.   Mr. Shelby imagined a place where owners could talk about their latest conquests at the track, swap stories, share photos and learn new ways to hot rod their cars! He wanted to link all of the enthusiasts into one "dream garage"... thus, Team Shelby was born!   Team Shelby has many free, open access forums, news sections and member only areas dedicated to the community.   In addition, Team Shelby has a full series of events for 2018, which include VIP Experiences, track days, National & Regional gatherings, cruises, car shows and more! Ownership of a Shelby is not required to be a member. The club is dedicated to serving all Shelby enthusiasts past and present including those that own cars built in the 1960's and Shelby Dodges too! Carroll Shelby (Team Shelby Member #001) said: "We built Team Shelby for anyone who is passionate about Shelby cars! We’ll have a blast and we'll do it the Shelby way!   Yearly Membership Rates   U.S. $49.99 | Canada & Mexico $59.99 | E.U., others $65.99   Join the Team Shelby Club   click here to choose a Team Shelby Club subscription package.   Membership Kit Arrival   Your Team Shelby Club membership kit and I.D.card will generally arrive within 6-8 weeks.   Need Help?   Email Brianna:  e-mail her here.
    • ForumAdmin

Having Problems Logging In To Team Shelby ?   02/12/2018

If you are having a problem logging in to Team Shelby since the software change made last December/January please send an email to bfawn@shelby.com  Please include your real name and Team Shelby user id in this email so that we may look into what the problem might be. Thank you.
Pockdog

Considering a Move from Northern California to Texas...

For various personal reasons I am looking to relocate from Northern California to Texas in the next few years, but having never visited there before I am interested in soliciting feedback from folks here who may have opinions about where best to live in Texas.

So for starters... Where is the most ideal place to live in Texas? How is the weather (is it seasonal)? How are the schools (I have three school-age kids: 7, 10, 13) How is the traffic? What is the cost of living like? Is housing affordable? Are there any hi-tech centers in Texas? Are the taxes high?, etc...

Much thanks in advance, as I value the opinions of TS Members.

-Pockdog

(Randy)

Randy,

I'm not a Texan, and I don't play one of TV :) , but my wife wants to get the heck out of CA and she'd like to head for TX. She watches a program on HGTV called Fixer Upper about folks who buy and fix up homes/property etc in the Waco and surrounding area. I'm amazed at what the difference in cost vs. value is in TX as opposed to CA. If I could find some place that had the S. CA weather, I'd be outta' here already.

Good luck in your search.

John

Edited by SoCalSGT

Why would all want to leave all the Illegals and Liberals behind. Jerry Brown will be so sad if you move................. :whistling:

Why would all want to leave all the Illegals and Liberals behind. Jerry Brown will be so sad if you move................. :whistling:

Calexico will survive without them after all they're only American citizens so Liberals don't care.......... :yup:

• Like 1

I don't live in Texas either (even though I have played one on Terlingua TV), but sure have been there a ton, for work and pleasure. Your questions will get many answers, but they are far to broad for what you are looking for. The answers can be what ever you want them to be based on where you go. There are tons of areas where the cost of living is extremely low, there are quite a few where it can be very high. Do you need a high paying job, or are you looking for a place to retire? From Houston to Dallas, there are many very high tech areas. Do you want to live in an extremely dry desert area, high humidity coastal area, or a mountainous wooded area with four seasons with little population? The answers are endless. Good thing, there are tons of folks on here who live in all areas of Texas, so the answers should be fun.

Randy,

I live in Texas.

Where is the most ideal place to live in Texas? In this order - Austin, San Antonio, Dallas- Ft Worth, then Houston. Many many nice smaller cities and towns

How is the weather (is it seasonal)? Weather nice 300 days per year in all locations. Summer days are hot, but nights are great.

How are the schools (I have three school-age kids: 7, 10, 13). Schools in the cities suck. Suburbs are OK.

How is the traffic? Austin traffic sucks, the other places have traffic but a great road network.

What is the cost of living like? Not too bad considering how nice Texas is. I think about 5-9% above national average.

Housing affordable? Very afordable relative to California.

Are there any hi-tech centers in Texas? Austin is the second larest Hight Tech Center in the country.

Are the taxes high? No State income tax. Property taxes in Austin are fairly high. DFW not too bad, not sure about SA and Houston.

Alot of Mexicans and losers gravatate to Texas, but it is a great place to live. I came from PA and would never leave Texas. Wasn't born here, but got here as fast as I could.

I believe it would be a good move to get the hell out of California and move to Texas.

Dave 2007 GT-500

• Like 2

Austin area has lots of high tech. Dell is in Round Rock (NE of Austin), and the leftovers of some old silicon companies, e.g., Motorola are in that area. Nvidia has a development center there.

I came "that close" to taking a job with Motorola there in the early 90s and always looked forward to tech conferences there.

Calexico will survive without them after all they're only American citizens so Liberals don't care.......... :yup:

Being a native Californian, that is pretty true, and it saddens me greatly when I hear the nonsense going on out there thanks to all the Dems. Although, they do need citizens who pay taxes to pay for all the illegals.

I live in TX, lots of great options, it all depends on what you are looking for. Houston is very affordable and has all the major sports, museums, culture, outdoor activities, and any level of housing. Dallas is similar but a little more costly and colder in winter. Austin has been covered, getting very crowded as everyone wants to move there but has lots of options also. San Antonio another great option and easy to get to Austin and Houston. My brother moved to CA from Houston, now lives in Dallas as he got out of CA as fast as he can. I travel there once a month (Silicon Valley), good place to visit, no way I would move there from TX.

You will need to come visit before making the move, way too many choices so be ready with your list of what you want, your job may be the deciding factor if that is required.

Texas is way too big to think that any one city is representative of another. Plus, if you can work from home that way opens up your choices of where to go. When we got married in 75 we lived in Phoenix ("BIG CITY"), but until we moved to Vegas in 2014 we have lived in basically small towns between them. I like the convenience of the big city but miss the community feeling of the small town. If you don't need the big city because of a job with a company and work from home, look around for a small town that meets your needs. You'd be surprised how many little towns now have the highest speed internet on the planet, even more so than the big cities whose infrastructure are "too new but not old enough to replace". Your dilemma in Texas will probably be climate/weather. It can get pretty hot and dry in some of the places down there. One of the attractions to Austin was the higher rolling hills and a little more moderate climate.

PS One of the advantages of TX is no state income tax. When we retired I thought about looking at Austin again, but having friends in Vegas - Nevada also has no tax - we decided to come here. We also thought about Arizona which does have a very minimally invasive fixed state tax and there are some pretty nice "small towns" between Phoenix and Tucson.

I lived in Monterey for a couple years. I moved to Fort Worth in Oct 16 to start a company. If $ were no issue, I would build a house with epic garage and a private racetrack in the TX hill country - west of Austin, north of San Antonio.

• Like 1

I've heard tales that Austin is nearly as "liberally oriented", for lack of a better term, as CA is. Any truth in that?

Any parts that aren't brutally humid in the summer?...that are livable, I should say?

Being a native Californian, that is pretty true, and it saddens me greatly when I hear the nonsense going on out there thanks to all the Dems. Although, they do need citizens who pay taxes to pay for all the illegals.

You can't even imagine! We're natives as well. We've seen the total ruination.

The state legislature now has a super majority of dems so they can pass anything they want with no opposition. They just passed a new ADDITIONAL 12 cent per gallon gas tax and an ADDITIONAL $150+ vehicle registration fee because they need more money. They've already said that if Trump cuts any taxes they will pass their own to make up for them.

Any wonder there is an exodus of taxpayers?

The state legislature now has a super majority of dems so they can pass anything they want with no opposition. They just passed a new ADDITIONAL 12 cent per gallon gas tax and an ADDITIONAL $150+ vehicle registration fee because they need more money. They've already said that if Trump cuts any taxes they will pass their own to make up for them.

It has been reported that on the 2018 Ballot, People can Vote to become their own Country.........I sure hope that is true and it passes.

Yeah, I saw that in the paper, and am kinda thankful I'm not putting up with that nonsense anymore. Not that IL is any better, but fortunately there's enough Republicans to prevent the Dems from completely ruining the state.

It has been reported that on the 2018 Ballot, People can Vote to become their own Country.........I sure hope that is true and it passes.

They've tried that a few times, or they keep trying to split up the state. Won't happen. But if it does I guess I'll have dual citizenship.

I lived in Monterey for a couple years. I moved to Fort Worth in Oct 16 to start a company. If $ were no issue, I would build a house with epic garage and a private racetrack in the TX hill country - west of Austin, north of San Antonio.

The TX hill country is the most beautiful part of the state. We always have cruises through there on the most unbelievable roads you will ever experience.

I've heard tales that Austin is nearly as "liberally oriented", for lack of a better term, as CA is. Any truth in that?

Any parts that aren't brutally humid in the summer?...that are livable, I should say?

Yes, that's correct about Austin. Definitely the most liberal city in TX. Anywhere east/southeast of San Antonio is brutally humid.

I have a friend who lives in Houston. Over the years the only complaints I've heard about are the hot, humid summer days, the Houston rush-hour traffic and the rapidly increasing population, mostly due to immigration. For awhile there they experience quite a prolonged drought, but all is well now and that could happen pretty much anywhere.

I have a friend who lives in Houston. Over the years the only complaints I've heard about are the hot, humid summer days, the Houston rush-hour traffic and the rapidly increasing population, mostly due to immigration. For awhile there they experience quite a prolonged drought, but all is well now and that could happen pretty much anywhere.

...and don't forget the high crime rate there too.

A big CONGRATS to anyone that escapes California. If my wife didn't have all her family here we would have escaped ourselves.

• Like 2

Dallas and Austin are hot real estate markets right now. Many homes there are inflated in price so watch out for that. The no state income tax thing is nice, but I also wish the roads were a little better maintained. Lots of clay in the ground so it hard to keep pavement from cracking and shifting. There are a lot of great veteran benefits here, one of many reasons that helped me make my decision. As mentioned above, there are definitely some tech areas in the state. Just a few years ago, then Gov. Rick Perry was out in CA recruiting companies to relocate to TX for better corporate taxes. Lockheed, the big Defense manufacturer has a big place in Fort Worth, and Raytheon has a big footprint near the army posts (hood, bliss).

If you are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for a visit, let me know.

Yes, that's correct about Austin. Definitely the most liberal city in TX. Anywhere east/southeast of San Antonio is brutally humid.

Interesting...thanks.

Dallas and Austin are hot real estate markets right now. Many homes there are inflated in price so watch out for that. The no state income tax thing is nice, but I also wish the roads were a little better maintained. Lots of clay in the ground so it hard to keep pavement from cracking and shifting. There are a lot of great veteran benefits here, one of many reasons that helped me make my decision. As mentioned above, there are definitely some tech areas in the state. Just a few years ago, then Gov. Rick Perry was out in CA recruiting companies to relocate to TX for better corporate taxes. Lockheed, the big Defense manufacturer has a big place in Fort Worth, and Raytheon has a big footprint near the army posts (hood, bliss).

If you are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for a visit, let me know.

My last company, McKesson, also just moved (moving) their corporate headquarters for the pharmaceutical business from San Fran to Irving, TX. 2,500 new jobs there. While all that is great, hopefully Texas does not see what has happened to Colorado. We are now East California here. I now live in the middle of liberal heaven of what used to be a really nice conservative place to live. Housing is no longer affordable, and all the other nice things that CA brings with it.

... hopefully Texas does not see what has happened to Colorado. We are now East California here. I now live in the middle of liberal heaven of what used to be a really nice conservative place to live. Housing is no longer affordable, and all the other nice things that CA brings with it.

And you're not in Boulder (County). When our little subdivision in Lyons started many were California transplants cashing out on their real estate cycle at its high point (two or three from the Thousand Oaks area essentially retired). We just did the reverse and left Lyons at a time near the high, although we could have made a little more, but got to Vegas near its low.

PS Pool water temp is now 75* and high in the 80s today but too windy. If the wind goes down tomorrow I'll be in the pool cleaning the winter lime bathtub ring off the tile.

Edited by twobjshelbys
  • Like 1

We escaped CA long ago and have watched with great sadness it's demise. R kids were 5th generation. We lived thru Moonbeam once and cannot believe he is back :-(

Anyhow, seems Austin is turning into a mini CA. It is very liberal. Dallas is gong that way too. Houston city is blue but the suburbs are pretty conservative. San Antonio and the Hill Country are pretty and a get away spot for us in Houston area. We are in Klein area of Spring, about 25 miles from downtown Houston. Decent schools here. There are a lot of school districts to look at in this area. Houston School District schools are a no. Dallas has extreme weather, spring and winter. Snow, ice, tornados, hail. Houston gets lots of rain, hail once in a while, an inch of snow and ice once every 10 years. Houston and suburbs housing is the cheapest of those mentioned. 300k will get you a lot of house here. It is humid here but very green and it is good for the skin! A pool is almost a necessity.

Oh yea, car registration is cheap! 82 for my 01 Lightning and 122 for the 40th for the year.

Edited by msmap

I left Florida in 2000 to move to Texas and ended up in Plano TX and loved it. The Plano/Frisco/Allen area is a great place to raise a family with many things for kids to do which I never had in FL where I grew up. If you love to go out to dinner holy crap you'll love Plano from the steak houses, BBQ joints, Tex/Mex, Asian food, seems like a 100 Sonic's lol even Frisco now has an In n' Out Burger. All of north TX in the neighborhoods have nice parks too. Plano's schools are top notch

Even Shelby's grandson lives in Plano

That's where I would go because of your young kids but if you were single then Austin

A big CONGRATS to anyone that escapes California. If my wife didn't have all her family here we would have escaped ourselves.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback, I'm reading through all of the information with great interest, please keep it coming!

-Pockdog

(Randy)