Sign in to follow this  
Cobra37

Exhaust Drone!

Just bought my first Ford. Love my 2012 Shelby GT 500, but the exhaust drone at highway speed is really taking the fun out of the cruise. Living in Texas I spend a lot of time on the highway, going to different car events. At 75 (normal cruising speed around here) the car is perfect, but when you start to accelerate to go up an overpass, or a hill, the drone in the cockpit is nerve wrenching. Corsa Performance says they have the cure with their reflective sound cancellation technology. Does it work? Any thing else work?

What mufflers (axle backs) are on the car now? Headers? I recommend the stock axle backs if the rest of the exhaust system is stock.

My car is box stock, 6900 miles, no headers, and no mods. So as I read your post, your saying the Corsa axle back system should fix my drone problem. Corsa Performance 14320 Sport Axle-Back Exhaust System Fits 11-12 Mustang. Thanks for your help

Drone w/stock exhaust? Never heard of such a thing. My '09 sounded like a vacuum cleaner w/the stock exhaust system. It was too damn quiet.

Skip the Corsa's- go find yourself a Shelby H pipe and and a set of FR500S mufflers and install. Best sounding exhaust set-up ever for this car. ZERO drone, and a mighty sound when pressing upon the pedal, as God intended.

Lee

Lee, I suspect that the drone in my Shelby, may not be a fluke. Why else would a muffler manufacture create a technology to suppress the drone in the Shelby and the Corvette. I really like the exhaust note of my car and don't want it any louder. I am just looking for a way to stop the drone.

Lee, I suspect that the drone in my Shelby, may not be a fluke. Why else would a muffler manufacture create a technology to suppress the drone in the Shelby and the Corvette. I really like the exhaust note of my car and don't want it any louder. I am just looking for a way to stop the drone.

^^^^It may be, (and this is just a guess), that many owners want a little more DB out of their cars, GT500 and Corvette, and many/most times when louder mufflers are added, the drone begins. I would guess that Corsa is advertising their mufflers as adding DB (as many owners desire), but not the associated drone that comes with some of the other muffler options out there, once an owner changes away from the oem system. <<<Like I said, that is just a guess.

If the factory exhaust systems droned, there would be many screaming customers well before the warranty was up and many exhaust systems (or parts of the system) would have been changed at Ford's expense. I have never heard of that issue with oem GT500 exhaust.

BTW - Your 2012 has a 2.75" exhaust system and the GT500KR H-pipe is for the 2007-2010 2.50" exhaust system, so don't waste your time running down that rabbit trail, only to realize that the 2008/09 GT500KR H does not fit your 2012 system.

R

Edited by Robert M

Ill put the car on the lift and insure that the exhaust is factory original, as I was told by the dealer. I definitely have an annoying drone, so maybe something is loose. I'll tighten everything down and see if that helps. Thank you all for your help

Ill put the car on the lift and insure that the exhaust is factory original, as I was told by the dealer. I definitely have an annoying drone, so maybe something is loose. I'll tighten everything down and see if that helps. Thank you all for your help

Also check for "Ford Racing" mufflers. Some dealers assume that Ford Racing mufflers are o.e. to a GT500, they are not. The only GT500 that I can think of where this is not the case is the 2008/09 GT500KR, which did get Ford Racing mufflers added when they went through Shelby, along with the cut-n-clamp H-pipe that was previously mentioned.

R

Edited by Robert M

I just purchased my 2012 and it came with Flowmaster 40 series. Really bad drone as well right around 2000 rpm. I know they aren't usually stock, but if you have the same ones, then that's the problem. Just because they are Flowmasters.

Did the Shelby factory use different manufacturers to supply the mufflers on their cars. Or did they use the Ford Performance mufflers exclusively?

Did the Shelby factory use different manufacturers to supply the mufflers on their cars. Or did they use the Ford Performance mufflers exclusively?

Shelby put Borla on my 2008 Super Snake and JBA was offered as an option through Shelby Perf. Parts with "SHELBY" engraved tips., but when my GT500 came from Ford, it had Ford part numbered mufflers, with a small Ford oval on each.

All Ford assy. line built GT500's used Ford part numbered and Ford oval logo'ed mufflers.

R

Edited by Robert M

Thanks for the information. I'll check under the car for the manufacture of the mufflers. If their Flowmasters, I'll swap them out for a set of Ford Performance, which according to the Forum, no one is having a problem with.

SHOCK and DISMAY! The mufflers on my car are MBRP and they have to go. The drone is dismal at highway cruising speeds. I want the original mufflers that came out of the Shelby factory in 2012. Which muffler do I get?

SHOCK and DISMAY! The mufflers on my car are MBRP and they have to go. The drone is dismal at highway cruising speeds. I want the original mufflers that came out of the Shelby factory in 2012. Which muffler do I get?

Told ya they weren't stock! Not to worry, there's plenty of the perfect muffler set still available:

https://lmr.com/item/M5230MGTCA1/2011-Mustang-Gt-50L-Ford-Racing-Gt500-Axle-Back-Exhaust-Kit

:thumbsup:

Better off buying from craigslist- loads cheaper too and they're always available.

Edited by spectreman

I would go the "GT500 For Sale" section here on Team Shelby, "The Market - GT500 Exhaust" on SVTPeformance.com, or The GT500 Forum For Sale section. <<I can add links to each if needed. Many owners on these GT500 specific forums are looking for a little more sound and are selling their quieter oem exhaust parts.

Your oem mufflers will be 2011-2012 specific, 2007-2010 are a smaller inlet diameter at 2.50" and 2013/14 have different tips, so 2011/12 is for you and just so someone doesn't pull a fast one on you (or just doesn't know), your mufflers need to be 2.75" inlet, NOT 2.50" as original for 2007-10. Another indicator will be the exhaust hangers, your mufflers will have 3 hanger points, and the 2007-2010 only have 2 hanger points.

R

Edited by Robert M

i have a 2010 gt 500, i used ford shorty ceramic headers, brothers stainless steel mid pipe and corsa sport exhaust, no drown not at all, its not that easy, i went thru 2 mid pipes and 2 sets of exhausts, i know the 2012 has larger pipe so try utube for sound videos ,good luck

For what it's worth; at the recommendation of many, to quiet my KR down after adding 200 hp I went with Borla Touring mufflers. It's a gorgeous sound and I'm tickled pink.