Sign in to follow this  
5.0rick

Just bought my 1st Shelby - 2012 GT500

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. Just bought my 1st Shelby. It's a 2012 GT500 with less than 9K miles and I absolutely love driving it. The dealer I bought it from had to put in a new ECM, due to tune on the original that did not allow it to pass inspection/emissions test (monitors were not ready). Anyhow, I got the original ECM as well and was wondering if there is any way to see who's tune was installed on it or for that matter, whether it can be tuned if I purchase a new tuner. Any guidance and advice on figuring this out is much appreciated.

Regards,

RickShelby_1_zpskbnbilsw.jpeg

Congrats and nice colors.  For the sensors to come back online, there is an entire process that you have to follow of which your Ford dealership should be able to provide for you.  It is supposed to simulate many driving scenarios, but I think it is a little ridiculous myself.  Every time I change my battery, I have to go through the process again on the stock tune and the re-flash my custom tune.  Depending on what upgrades are on your car, you will potentially need to get a new custom tune to ensure the car is not running to lean which could lead to serious engine failure.  Better safe than sorry.  Good luck and have fun with your new Shelby.

33 minutes ago, ViperNC said:

Congrats and nice colors.  For the sensors to come back online, there is an entire process that you have to follow of which your Ford dealership should be able to provide for you.  It is supposed to simulate many driving scenarios, but I think it is a little ridiculous myself.  Every time I change my battery, I have to go through the process again on the stock tune and the re-flash my custom tune.  Depending on what upgrades are on your car, you will potentially need to get a new custom tune to ensure the car is not running to lean which could lead to serious engine failure.  Better safe than sorry.  Good luck and have fun with your new Shelby.

Thanks ViperNC. I did try to drive the car for 500 miles or so in order to get the sensors to come back online  but it never happened. The Ford dealer actually said that they could not flash the stock tune back onto the ECM so in the end the fix was to replace the ECM. I do have the original with the tune (that the dealer could not roll back to stock). Will I be able to put a new tune on that ECM if I purchase a new tuner?

Thanks again,

Rick

Hmmm.....  Are there any modifications to the intake or exhaust?  What can you share about the car?  If it is bone stock, then I wouldn't worry about an aftermarket tune, but if you have modifications I would take the car to a local tuner and get it set up properly.  Take some photos of the engine bay and post if you get a chance.  

7 hours ago, ViperNC said:

Hmmm.....  Are there any modifications to the intake or exhaust?  What can you share about the car?  If it is bone stock, then I wouldn't worry about an aftermarket tune, but if you have modifications I would take the car to a local tuner and get it set up properly.  Take some photos of the engine bay and post if you get a chance.  

The car should be bone stock. I have not measured the supercharger pulley or crank pulley but they look stock as well. The exhaust looks stock (only one converter per side at after the exhaust manifold) Is that stock?. The car did come with 3.73 gears and the upgraded suspension (SVT Performance - red shocks). Here are a couple of pictures.

Shelby_Engine1_zpsj59uh7ne.jpegShelby_Engine2_zpscmptezx4.jpegShelby_SC_Pulley_zpshpo5kbmk.jpegShelby_Diff_zpsf6zuke5m.jpeg

Looks completely stock to me.  If that is the case, I don't see where you would have had an aftermarket tune on the car.  Maybe the original ECM was faulty...?  At any rate, if the sensors came back online and you are experiencing no issues, I wouldn't worry about it.  Go drive and enjoy!  :shift: