gp1200x

Crankshaft position sensor

My 2010 (19K miles) is leaking a little oil. I determined it appears to be coming from the crankshaft position sensor...right next to the AC compressor which makes it a pain to replace. I have drained the oil since it needed to be changed. My question is this....does this sensor sit in the oil bath inside the engine?  It is low but above the oil level in the engine I would assume. I have not put the new oil in since I did not want any possibly pouring out the opening when I change it. 

If is doesn't sit in the oil but is inside the engine where the oil is, what causes it to leak when sitting? Do I possibly have excessive  crankcase pressure because it seems like it doesn't drip out when it was in my driveway but rather sprayed a fine mist out since it was over a circular area and not just a drop leak. I had cardboard down so that is why I noticed the mist spray.

I did install an oil separator in the PVC line from AM but I don't know why that what contribute to this issue. I will check it to make sure it is not clogged or full. I just don't want to change it and and find out it is failing due to another cause. Other changes are a tune, intake and SC pulley size decreased.  Have a new TB but not yet installed. None of these other things should have caused a problem as far as I can tell. Engine runs fine too.

I suspect it will take an afternoon...tight area.! Thanks

15 K and oil level was right...replaced unit and no more leaks...rubber oring seal must have been leaking. Unit itself was fine and solid.