mach 1 1970

OFF TOPIC THREAD......... (was New C8 maybe it’s getting close.)

The latest rendering over at the Corvette C8 forum. I’d buy it in a heart beat Chevy  

CD003AD4-1E87-4E31-BDE1-9EB1A4BEB1D6.jpeg

9A7AB60A-FC0C-43F9-B2DF-9DC998FF5ECA.jpeg

4FF67BDF-F949-4F42-8106-E4C95F11D6B5.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks like it would be priced along side the Ford GT.

Yep, any day now :)   Like it has been for the past 12 years (since the 05-06 Ford GT).  Car & Driver has a spot on it.  But there's a warning "there is no such thing".    At the current rate scientists will clone a unicorn before the mid engine Corvette is ever seen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guys guys guys it’s a done deal. $75k $85 for a 1LT I hope.  Not kidding it’s for real. They have been spotted testing many times already with camo. That rendering was done by people who have seen it. Car & driver doesn’t know dick. I’m a vette and ford guy and have owned many . Trust me it’s coming  

That’s no Vega there !

962918DC-2C5B-4FF9-8297-CEA1E0591B48.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

I oughtta take a run down to the GM proving grounds in Mesa and see what I can see. I worked there many years ago as a driver.  

This now confirms I’ll be keeping my C7 for a long time to come. Not the least bit interested.....at any price. 

BB it will grow on you especially in the flesh. This is the closest yet to the real thing coming. 

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

The Corvette boys better come up with something because the 2019 ZR1 still can't keep up with the 2016 - 2017 Viper ACR.  And the Viper is a better looking car IMO.

Don’t look now Blake, but the Viper is being ressurected for ‘21. The first cars will be intro’d in 2020...

50 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

BB it will grow on you especially in the flesh. This is the closest yet to the real thing coming. 

Hmmmm......  maybe. I’m still not liking the new Mustangs. I only have / like mine because it’s a special model. :shrug:

14 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Don’t look now Blake, but the Viper is being ressurected for ‘21. The first cars will be intro’d in 2020...

Time will tell if that prophecy turns into reality.  I hope so.  A generation 6 Viper would ease the prices of the Gen 5 cars as everyone seems to be trying to sell them at highly inflated numbers vs. what they are really worth.  

Hey ViperNC  FYI........Motor Trend’s driving ace Randy Pobst was at Road Atlanta with Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter where he is testing the 2019 Corvette ZR1. Randy posted on his instagram account that the Corvette ZR1 has beaten the track record previously set by the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR. The track record was 1:26.54 and according to Randy, the ZR1 bested that time by .1 second!

Tadge has the best job in the world....It was great when Mark Fields used to show up when testing the 13 Shelby GT500. But he’s gone now and too Bad. But we have Ford Performance to keep things moving along. Jim Owens will keep things interesting I’m sure. 

FCC0A19E-DD28-4C00-AD09-7CCD26E0A66F.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

The latest rendering over at the Corvette C8 forum. I’d buy it in a heart beat Chevy  

CD003AD4-1E87-4E31-BDE1-9EB1A4BEB1D6.jpeg

9A7AB60A-FC0C-43F9-B2DF-9DC998FF5ECA.jpeg

4FF67BDF-F949-4F42-8106-E4C95F11D6B5.jpeg

Damn if it comes out exactly like that it will be a hit for sure.....talk is that it will be a twin turbo 5.2 liter V8 if so it should be one hell of a performer

also.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Hey ViperNC  FYI........Motor Trend’s driving ace Randy Pobst was at Road Atlanta with Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter where he is testing the 2019 Corvette ZR1. Randy posted on his instagram account that the Corvette ZR1 has beaten the track record previously set by the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR. The track record was 1:26.54 and according to Randy, the ZR1 bested that time by .1 second!

Tadge has the best job in the world....It was great when Mark Fields used to show up when testing the 13 Shelby GT500. But he’s gone now and too Bad. But we have Ford Performance to keep things moving along. Jim Owens will keep things interesting I’m sure. 

FCC0A19E-DD28-4C00-AD09-7CCD26E0A66F.jpeg

I've been hearing the same thing it's been beating all kinds of track records....not bad at the drag strip either where an A8 auto with less

than 500 miles on the odometer clicked off a 10.2 @ 135mph on stock tires....not bad at all.

• Like 2

Owned a few C7’s but never really warmed up to its looks. The C8 will change that. I’m back in a 18 Mustang GT and to honest I like the looks of the mustang better then the 17 GS I had. The 15/18 mustang proportions are spot on IMO. The C7 long hood short deck Is so dated. I know the old faithful corvette guys won’t like the ME C8 but it’s time for a Change. Sure wish someone would get a rear end shot with no camo. 

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Owned a few C7’s but never really warmed up to its looks. The C8 will change that. I’m back in a 18 Mustang GT and to honest I like the looks of the mustang better then the 17 GS I had. The 15/18 mustang proportions are spot on IMO. The C7 long hood short deck Is so dated. I know the old faithful corvette guys won’t like the ME C8 but it’s time for a Change. Just as long as it doesn’t look like the lame NSX. 

Hey slow lane: If or when the new C8 Vette comes out and looks as good as that red one on a previous post, I think I'd have to find a way to procure one!  After seeing those cool pics and streamlined bodys I feel my heart pumping a little faster!:yahoo:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout:

23 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

I guess we will wait to see if this is true when it gets validated in a reputable publication... If the Corvette has actually taken the crown from the Viper that would be an achievement.  And I would LOVE to see the 2017 ACR and 2019 ZR1 go head to head on track.  Call me crazy, but my money would still be on the Viper.

Just found this latest information.......“ spyshots revealed a compact vertical window, flanked by a pair of flying buttresses. After all, this is a layout that all too familiar when it comes to mid-engined exotics and seeing it being featured on a more budget friendly animal like the 'Vette brings us great joy”.:titanic:

This can’t be accurate about the rear engine cover and rear end design of the C8. I’m not at all liking this. The C8 needs a window forming the shape not some flying buttresses IMO. Maybe this will be used on the convertible ( Spyder model ) sure hope so. 

GM really screwed up the looks of the camaro with the refresh and I hope the C8 design team doesn’t make the same mistake. 

NSX rear window looks good but please not the old style corvette or old school Ferrari. Please NO Chevy ! Last 2 pictures of the current mid-engine rear design of the Ferrari ...YES  

67F10D0D-E759-456C-B7CF-6E2F0E81F8A2.jpeg

25D0DF9A-E1E8-495E-86C5-E92E84CBF135.jpeg

D3D51C0B-CEE8-499C-BA62-7CF0B3876C6C.jpeg

5B54D852-8F52-47DC-966F-1E40E5E6BFA5.jpeg

48FFCE17-8F28-400D-839A-D182F88B3FAE.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970

I agree the small vertical window and flying buttress design would be a huge mistake on GM's part....the new NSX looks awesome.

If they were to come out with that design I will just stay with what Ford has. Heck I got rid of my 17 GS because of the up and coming C8. There were Hugh discounts on that GS like $13K on a MSRP of $69K . The sportscar market is really saturated and soft.  Back with a mustang and as happy as a clam. We shall see what happens, stay turned when I get more details I’ll share. 

Later. :shift:

Edited by mach 1 1970

I took some liberties with PhotoChop, but it’s silver with red guts and red calipers. 

As you mentioned earlier, EVERYWHERE I go...even to this day...I get more thumbs up and atta boys than any of my Stangs. 

Note the ole 500 there in the garage. :cool: 

Chris....I actually like the convertible better then the coupe. It’s really stunning in that color. :camera: ...Around the Atlanta area the GS and 18 GT get the same amount of looks at car shows or cruises.  Different people looked at each about the same. And yes corvette people wave on the road which is still cool ?.

The 05 mustang GT back in 2004 turned a ton of heads just like the C7 did back in oct 2013 . Truly amazing how both cars were similar in attention getting. No other cars I’ve owned stopped  people in their tracks like those two did when they first hit the streets. Felt like I was driving my 308 back in the 80’s . People would walk over and ask to see the interior at grocery stores. Stop at entrances of malls and roll down the window and block traffic. Come out of a store and both cars would have a small crowd around them . This went on for 6 months. 

The C7 coupe seems to accentuate the long hood and all the body work towards the rear. Is hard to explain. The Mercedes-GT4 has those old school proportions is what I’m saying. Some people like that but it’s not my thing anymore. It’s just my opinion and nothing more. 

B761B6DC-F4D9-4B6D-8C16-9AEB589BAF8A.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970

You’re right about the excitement of the first C7’s and the first S-197’s. 

But I can’t explain it, this car commands comments and questions still, four years in. 

Im like you, in that I think the vert looks better than the coupe. I also can’t remember EVER driving a convertible that is as rigid as this car is. There is virtually zero “header shake”. That is amazing in a car that’s made of fiberglass. It’s a tribute to the aluminum spine on these cars. Mine will be three years old in late August, and usually by this time I’ve been looking for something else. Not this time. This car is a keeper. :wub:

Well boys, I hate to disagree with you, but when it comes to a coupe or a convertible, I'll always take the coupe!   I feel in the looks department the convertibles lose way to much in the design lines of the body flow and interrupts that coolness effect of the streamlined coupe!   A excellent example of this is the 1963 Split Window Corvette stingray.  Just stand behind two 1963 corvettes that are parked side by side, one will be a convert. and the other will be the Split Window Corvette.  Which one wins the streamlined coolness factor?  In my book, it's the Split Window hands down!:worship:     I know you guys like the convertibles, but in this case I think you might agree with me!:cool:  We are all entitled to our opinions and this was mine and yours might be different and that's cool too!:cool:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout:

Base price for a 2019 ZR1 is (  MSRP from $119,995 ) which (  MSRP excludes tax, title, license and dealer fees. See dealer for details.  )

I would expect a mid engine Corvette to start around 100K..

Mongoose...the 63 coupe is hands down the style winner of all time. But 46 years later that design need to be in a museum IMO. The C8 needs a clean sheet of paper and move in another direction. GM has decided to move in another direction and I applaud them for it. 

Ford between 1974 and 2004 had a mustang design that was at best OK and in other cases horrible... The current design team within mustang team has pulled off a best of show for the last 13 years. You park a 1978 mustang next to any current one and see the difference...it’s simply amazing how far it has come. 

Corvette had it’s not so good design problems of their own but nothing like the mustang fiasco of the past. 

Ok later. .....:shift:  Yes the 63/67 corvette was a best of show also. 

• Like 1

I read in C&D that the mid engine car will get ONLY paddles.... is that what you’ve heard Mike? That’s another thing this old car dude is not keen on. 

It’s so funny......I think I’m turning into my pop :hysterical2: 

Edit- Makes me think...GM oughtta resurrect one of their old slogans on the C8 - “This ain’t your fathers Corvette!” ;) 

Edited by BIKEBOY
  • Like 1

“I think this would be the spyder version. If you look at the top of the B-pillar the roof sits on top of it. If it were just a targa, I would imagine the roof panel would lay flat before the B-pillar rather than sit on top of it as it does in this pic”.

So the picture below and the comment above looks like spyder version is planned. So hopefully the side burtteses will be only on the spyder version  

Chris ...I’ve heard there might not be a manual. Also no chrome wheel option and no soft top. 

Last picture a pillar has been changed to reflect camo shots. ? 

AA18DAC7-174A-49E8-8F91-49AF17EB2975.jpeg

496503D1-D14E-4999-8E3E-8B366F05FADD.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970

I will no doubt get flamed for this, but it won’t be the first time :lol:  If I was gonna by any mid engine car, it’d damn sure be an Audi R8 

thats my lottery car 

That car come out in 2006 and it shows today :stirpot: Don’t think I can fit in one. :shrug: No not fat but 6’5” and cars like cobras and such can’t drive. 

Edited by mach 1 1970