Jump to content
mach 1 1970

OFF TOPIC THREAD......... (was New C8 maybe it’s getting close.)

Recommended Posts

Just now, BIKEBOY said:

Don’t fix it if it aint broke....... ;)

Another case in point......the Challenger :cool:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Mongoose...the 63 coupe is hands down the style winner of all time. But 46 years later that design need to be in a museum IMO. The C8 needs a clean sheet of paper and move in another direction. GM has decided to move in another direction and I applaud them for it. 

Ford between 1974 and 2004 had a mustang design that was at best OK and in other cases horrible... The current design team within mustang team has pulled off a best of show for the last 13 years. You park a 1978 mustang next to any current one and see the difference...it’s simply amazing how far it has come. 

Corvette had it’s not so good design problems of their own but nothing like the mustang fiasco of the past. 

Ok later. .....:shift:  Yes the 63/67 corvette was a best of show also. 

Hey King Mike!   I'll admit it wasn't fair using the 63 Split Window Vette for a comparison of cool-ness!  Simply put,"The 1963 Corvette Stingray Split-Window coupe" is one of the coolest designed sport cars ever produced in the U.S.A.  :)It was way ahead of it's time in the design!  I don't mean to offend any body by saying this, but as far as poor design goes concerning some earlier Corvette models, I think one of the poorest designed and not very popular is the 1984 Corvette.  This is just my opinion from what I've seen and read on these cars! You can readily buy these cars in nice shape from about $4K and up!  As far as the Mustangs go, they also had some earlier years and models that didn't fair to well!  Luckly, both auto-makers (Chevy & Ford) came back with alot cooler designs and better performance cars!   I just so happen to like the newer design on the Vette and Stang!   But I also woundn't mind seeing a new C-8 mid-engine either! :cool:  

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Another case in point......the Challenger :cool:

HeyBB,  I totally agree with your point!   "Don't Fix it" , if it's not Brokey! LOL :stop:   I personally really like what Dodge did to the Challengers and some of their cool options they have for them! I love the Retro-look on them and I also think some of the Scat-Pack Chargers are pretty cool also!  If I remember right, I think you can get in to one for less than 50K.  P.S.  I'm still waiting to see retro Hemi- Cudas in Plum Crazy Purple W/ hockey stripes on the rear quarters! LOL:lol:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"    :peelout:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mongoose said:

HeyBB,  I totally agree with your point!   "Don't Fix it" , if it's not Brokey! LOL :stop:   I personally really like what Dodge did to the Challengers and some of their cool options they have for them! I love the Retro-look on them and I also think some of the Scat-Pack Chargers are pretty cool also!  If I remember right, I think you can get in to one for less than 50K.  P.S.  I'm still waiting to see retro Hemi- Cudas in Plum Crazy Purple W/ hockey stripes on the rear quarters! LOL:lol:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"    :peelout:

:thumbsup: Aren’t they supposed to do a ‘Cuda next? Replace the Chally with that nameplate? I have read that more than once. And it’s on the internet, so it has to be true. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Chris, that would be totally awesome if they would produce a cool retro style Cuda!  I always use to think that a 1970 AAR, Hemi Cuda was one of the toughest looking cars on the road!  And I also think that it looked especially cool in competition orange w/black hockey stripes!:cool:

Also, the other day on a internet site, I think it was Hagerty's Insurance, it said the new C08 Vette would be paddle shifters and no stick!   They also said that it would be base at $70K and you could carry two sets of golf clubs for all you golfers.  :)

Later!

"MONGOOSE"    :peelout:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Amen to the retro look!!....Since 69-70 the best looking Mustangs were the 05-09's...I said this before and I'll say it again Ford should have

done a factory Mach1 model with that design...IMO it was the perfect body style for it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, svtkeith said:

 

Amen to the retro look!!....Since 69-70 the best looking Mustangs were the 05-09's...I said this before and I'll say it again Ford should have

done a factory Mach1 model with that design...IMO it was the perfect body style for it.

This^^^^^^ :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we lost the" Great Designer",  (Larry Shinoda)  of Chevy fame (63 Vette etc.) and also of Ford fame (69 Boss 302 etc.)!  We lost one of the very best designers that was out there!  He was very adapt on the flowing and curves of the body lines of some of the great 60s cars.:cool:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"    :peelout:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2 cents is the 15/18 mustang is going in the right direction. Now it’s GM’s turn to take the corvette in the right direction. The camaro I think screwed up the roof line in 16. Now they screwed up the front for 19. So the corvette has to get this right or it’s curtains for GM. Frankly I’m happy with Ford if this happens. 

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, svtkeith said:

 

Amen to the retro look!!....Since 69-70 the best looking Mustangs were the 05-09's...I said this before and I'll say it again Ford should have

done a factory Mach1 model with that design...IMO it was the perfect body style for it.

:backtotopic:

9B0F4A9A-20C6-4EF0-9C01-CF119518B8F8.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always liked the older C1,C2 and C3 Vettes from the 1950s,60s and 70s.  Anything since that time the styling just hasn’t done much for me. The C7 styling was a step in the right direction for the first time in decades. The C8 (if for real) is nice, but I think GM just waited way too late to rescue the Vette from the public’s perception that no matter the performance or styling,  it unfortunately is still perceived as an old man’s car. That has been the case for almost 3 decades now. The average age has crept each year until the average age of a Vette owner is approximately between 59 to 61 and 75% of them are owned by men age 55 to 75 depending on the surveys used. I know the latest iteration is supposed to be addressing getting to the younger buyer. However due to the sad stench of mid-life crisis mobile sticking to the Vette like glue, GM is going to have one  heck of a marketing challenge to overcome In changing the current overall perception of the platform……..…when I lived in Florida, it was a running joke that any time one pulled up to a beachfront restaurant or bar, you could bet 10 to 1 that  some fat bald old guy was going to  pile out it wearing a Tommy Bahama Floral Shirt, Wayfarers perched on his scalp, Bermuda Shorts, sandals, and he would be flashing a low end Rolex that had the bezel blinged out with cheap diamonds at a local jeweler to make it look more expensive than it actually is………… I like the new styling direction, and the performance is good, but I continue to have absolutely zero interest in ever owning one……I will stick with a Shelby.

Edited by mhr1961
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

I have always liked the older C1,C2 and C3 Vettes from the 1950s,60s and 70s.  Anything since that time the styling just hasn’t done much for me. The C7 styling was a step in the right direction for the first time in decades. The C8 (if for real) is nice, but I think GM just waited way too late to rescue the Vette from the public’s perception that no matter the performance or styling,  it unfortunately is still perceived as an old man’s car. That has been the case for almost 3 decades now. The average age has crept each year until the average age of a Vette owner is approximately between 59 to 61 and 75% of them are owned by men age 55 to 75 depending on the surveys used. I know the latest iteration is supposed to be addressing getting to the younger buyer. However due to the sad stench of mid-life crisis mobile sticking to the Vette like glue, GM is going to have one  heck of a marketing challenge to overcome In changing the current overall perception of the platform……..…when I lived in Florida, it was a running joke that any time one pulled up to a beachfront restaurant or bar, you could bet 10 to 1 that  some fat bald old guy was going to  pile out it wearing a Tommy Bahama Floral Shirt, Wayfarers perched on his scalp, Bermuda Shorts, sandals, and he would be flashing a low end Rolex that had the bezel blinged out with cheap diamonds at a local jeweler to make it look more expensive than it actually is………… I like the new styling direction, and the performance is good, but I continue to have absolutely zero interest in ever owning one……I will stick with a Shelby.

Hahahahahaha!!!! I love the descriptive in your post! LMAO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More sketches from the C8 forum. Getting closer to the real car some people think. No comments just pictures from me. 

Later. Mike 

B06644F0-9916-4286-88D1-4D80864866BB.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be the second model with the retractable roof and buttresses 

093B5D97-34AF-4579-8A14-D87836B3D27C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corvette meets Acura NSX.... MEH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2018 at 2:16 PM, mach 1 1970 said:

More sketches from the C8 forum. Getting closer to the real car some people think. No comments just pictures from me. 

Later. Mike 

B06644F0-9916-4286-88D1-4D80864866BB.jpeg

The top pic looks like a Ferrari.....no imagination imho. 

Even the new FGT has its own character. 

I’m not hating, just saying. I suppose it’s hard to build a super car (looking) car and be different, as there are certain prerequisites....cooling ducts and such. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thought on this...the pricing on this car and even the new GT500 and Hellcat cars, are getting out of the average Joe’s pay scale. 

These cars all started as hot cars for just that... “average Joe”. I know they have to keep upping the ante and change it up, but these newer hot rods are fastly outpacing the salaries of most guys. Kinda sad. It forces a lot of buyers to get leveraged out of their comfort zones, if they really have to have one. 

......even without any ridiculous ADM’s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

One other thought on this...the pricing on this car and even the new GT500 and Hellcat cars, are getting out of the average Joe’s pay scale. 

These cars all started as hot cars for just that... “average Joe”. I know they have to keep upping the ante and change it up, but these newer hot rods are fastly outpacing the salaries of most guys. Kinda sad. It forces a lot of buyers to get leveraged out of their comfort zones, if they really have to have one. 

......even without any ridiculous ADM’s. 

 

Agreed BB the price these C8's are going to be out of reach for average folks....the one good thing about the C8 coming out is that

it should drop the prices on the C7's........I also agree with pricing on the GT500's and Hellcats they at getting up there...a Super Snake F-150

here with zero ADM's is going for $105k...ridiculous IMO....The new Ford GT is going for $4-500k.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris.....I agree on prices. Chevy dealers  aren’t as bad with ADMs as ford dealers. As soon as I get more pictures I’ll post them. Nobody knows exactly what the final product will look like. Chevy puts a lot of cladding on the mules running around out there.

 

Edited by mach 1 1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some say ...the C8 will come on at over $100k. If that’s the case I’ll buy a slightly used  2011 Ferrari California ( yes retro for Ferrari)  enjoy it for a few years. Then get into a C8 slightly used performance optioned  1LT . 

 

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2018 at 4:16 PM, mach 1 1970 said:

More sketches from the C8 forum. Getting closer to the real car some people think. No comments just pictures from me. 

Later. Mike 

B06644F0-9916-4286-88D1-4D80864866BB.jpeg

Nice pics Mike!  I really like the "Red" one, it's pretty cool in "My Opinion"!  :cool:   Thanks for the pics!

Later!

"MONGOOSE"  :peelout:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

One other thought on this...the pricing on this car and even the new GT500 and Hellcat cars, are getting out of the average Joe’s pay scale. 

These cars all started as hot cars for just that... “average Joe”. I know they have to keep upping the ante and change it up, but these newer hot rods are fastly outpacing the salaries of most guys. Kinda sad. It forces a lot of buyers to get leveraged out of their comfort zones, if they really have to have one. 

......even without any ridiculous ADM’s. 

Way to go Chris!  Excellent post, it was right on the mark!:clapping::clapping:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"    :peelout:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More showing what may be the convertible model. The top is the Porsche spyder. Here is your Ferrari for comparison.

F01B207F-2E9E-4C78-8261-C3417F765C2F.jpeg

E55C61E7-94EC-4815-B35F-F57F4245160F.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Way to go Chris!  Excellent post, it was right on the mark!:clapping::clapping:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"    :peelout:

Thanks Goose. :salute:

3 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

More showing what may be the convertible model. The top is the Porsche spyder. Here is your Ferrari for comparison.

F01B207F-2E9E-4C78-8261-C3417F765C2F.jpeg

E55C61E7-94EC-4815-B35F-F57F4245160F.jpeg

Case closed.....

 

:hysterical:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, when I saw the first three pics, I liked the first one, (Porsche Spyder)!  But, that was until I saw the "very cool" Ferrari! :cool:  That car is "simply beautiful"  with it's flowing design lines and it's always cool in Ferrari Red!     P.S. " I'll second BB's opinion,  ( Case Closed)!  :rating:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have another thought Slow Lane......

As GM continues to raise the MSRP on their sports car offering, they have alotta quality and fit/finish improvements that need to happen to “play” in the super car type category. If a new Corvette had no badging at all, and no signs of the Generals name on it anywhere, most car guys could tell you it’s American made. 

There’s just something about American made cars that sell themselves out. 

For the record...I don’t care, as I own them and prefer them over most imports....I’m just making an observation.  

:backtotopic:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

I have another thought Slow Lane......

As GM continues to raise the MSRP on their sports car offering, they have alotta quality and fit/finish improvements that need to happen to “play” in the super car type category. If a new Corvette had no badging at all, and no signs of the Generals name on it anywhere, most car guys could tell you it’s American made. 

There’s just something about American made cars that sell themselves out. 

For the record...I don’t care, as I own them and prefer them over most imports....I’m just making an observation.  

:backtotopic:

 

Hey Chris, your right on about the American made cars, and I too prefer them over most imports.  I think the main item the foreign cars have over the American cars is the fit and finish and quality of materials used,especially where the interior is concerned!   I personaly really like the use of aluminum,stainless steel, and also the occasional use of highly polished wood in some of their cars!   The Europeans are pretty good at using these materials in alot of their cars which looks cool and more impressive!   :cool:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Chris, your right on about the American made cars, and I too prefer them over most imports.  I think the main item the foreign cars have over the American cars is the fit and finish and quality of materials used,especially where the interior is concerned!   I personaly really like the use of aluminum,stainless steel, and also the occasional use of highly polished wood in some of their cars!   The Europeans are pretty good at using these materials in alot of their cars which looks cool and more impressive!   :cool:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout:

Thanks Goose...... I love ALL cars...always have. Heck, Gina and I have had many Corvettes. The C4’s had horrid build quality. They were basically a sweet motor (for the time) with a loose fitting pile of fiberglass panels around it. And that fully digital dash.......whose brilliant idea was that?? :drop: 

The C5 came out and impressed us in a lot of areas, especially the engines again, but those cars still had the flimsy ridiculous excuse for a performance seat! Then the C6 gets a face lift....a few steps forward again, but not until what was it, 2012 or ‘13 did the seats finally get revamped (maybe in just the GS and Z06’s?), and then the C7. In my opinion, the C7’s turned a corner in fit, finish and build quality. The motors by then were incredible machines and still get phenomenal fuel mileage! As if we even care?! :lol:  ...but nonetheless, the Ford and FCA offerings don’t get anywhere near these mileage numbers. Very impressive! 

I purposely left out the C3 and previous generation models because we all know how they were built. We as Americans didn’t expect anything more back then. All we cared about then was the motor(s) and the “look”. And in that department, GM delivered!

To be fair and equitable here, I happen to believe the S550’s are light years ahead of the 197’s and certainly all the previous Stangs as well, in the fit / finish and build quality. But, we’re paying for that on them too. The base Mustang GT is getting outta reach for average Joe now too. Remember, (without getting too political here) the middle class is all but slipping away. The middle class buyer is what kept these American hot rods moving out of showrooms for years and years. 

I for one would love to see the Big 3 refocus their energy on another true “pony car”....affordable, spirited, smaller powerful pkg. , just like the idea that spawned the original Falcon (Mustang) to begin with. Then GM followed with the small, powerful, fun and sporty Camaro. Concentrate on the most important traits that are offered today,  and NOTHING you don’t need. Keep the costs down. Hell, I’d even like to see crank windows again! You do NOT need power windows for cripes sake!! 

Maybe this is happening already for the current younger buyer, and I don’t realize it? Maybe these kids are loving these little Hyundai Turbo tuners and the like? I’m sorry, but the Focus is NOT what I’m talking about here. The car manufacturers are chasing SUV’s now anyway. I saw Mitsubishi is releasing a new small crossover with it’s older Eclipse moniker on it. Good grief! Maybe it’s not too far off hearing that Ford is talking about using the Mach1 nameplate on an SUV? It was Mach1, right? They better not do that!! :swear: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...