mach 1 1970

OFF TOPIC THREAD......... (was New C8 maybe it’s getting close.)

9 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Oh yeah Goose, I received that same shamrock airbag warning in the mail last week too. I have PILES of airbag recall warnings for all three of my S-197’s   They will not be getting done. I know Len is planning on doing my old SGT. I hope once he does it, they’ll stop sending me his. :doh: 

Hitting the rack. Tomorrow is going to be another busy day. 

Happy to report the airbag fix is done and done, Chris.  And beautiful 5671 is safe and sound in her new garage.

Excited to hear about the 350!   Good luck with all the moving logistics, my friend!

Tucked In 32019.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Cool story Goose....I assume you didn't buy the yellow Vette ?

Hey Keefer, you assume right!!!    I’d never driven a 427  Vette before that, and I guess I expected too much from it, performance wise when compared to my Hi-P0s small blocks, and LT1s!!                  Later Bud!           “GOOSE”     :peelout:

12 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

We talked about the 428 CJ but one more special 428 needed to be covered. 

428 Super Cobra JetEdit

The 428 Super Cobra Jet (also known as the 428SCJ) used the same top end, pistons, cylinder heads, camshaft, valve train, induction system, exhaust manifolds, and engine block as the 428 Cobra Jet. However, the crankshaft and connecting rods were strengthened and associated balancing altered for drag racing. A nodular iron crankshaft casting #1UA was used as well as heavier 427 "Le Mans" connecting rods with capscrews instead of bolts for greater durability. The heavier connecting rods and the removal of the centre counterweight on the stock 428 Cobra Jet crankshaft (1UA), required an external weight on the snout of the crankshaft for balancing. A 428 Super Cobra Jet engine with oil cooler was standard equipment when the "Drag Pack" option (which came when selecting either a 3.91 or 4.30 rear end gear ratio) was ordered with cars manufactured from 13 November 1968. In addition, while the CJ and SCJ engines used the same autothermic piston casting, the piston-to-bore clearance specification between the CJ and SCJ 428 engines is slightly different, with the SCJ engines gaining a slightly looser fit to permit higher operating temperature.[49] Horsepower measurements at a street rpm level remained the same.[5

this is the one to own fellas. 1970 mach 1 428 SCJ  .....:rockon: drag pack option. 

BCC5876C-4FCB-494F-9D67-D9799F0C8F03.jpeg

Or how about a 1970 Shelby GT 500 with the SCJ. Drag pack. The holy grail imo.

I owned one back in the 80’s . The previous owner put white stripes on her It had white interior.

4 speed ....no Air  ...hot hot hot in the Atlanta area  

20479721-2892-4AF2-8B33-C301C234839D.jpeg

E594E6ED-78BC-49AD-BDE3-5D96434DA246.jpeg

Always wanted one of these (very cool) Shelbys!!     Love the style!    :thumbsup:

Nothing new on the C8 today soooo

Mongoose...having owned a few 427 corvettes in the past my experience is they pull like a freight train from 2000 rpms 

Having said that they are basically a low 14 to high 13 second quarter mile car in stock tune. . Nothing earth shattering in today’s standards. A stock 67 L79 can hit the low 14’s all day long plus they handle better . But stop light to stop light the 427 will feel faster seat of the pants in my experience. It’s the torque that does it. Now the 427/435 or 427/400 is a car that is tricky to keep those carbs turned properly. Remember there are 3 old carbs that need rebuilding frequently. Just one carb gets out of adjustment and it not enjoyable at all. Setting the idle and high speed adjustments is critical in getting those high 13 second runs. Then you have to adjust the valves in the 435 to keep her in top Tune. ( that takes 2 people ) No ethenal in those cars if they sit a lot. Those were the days. 

Mongoose...I realize that you had the L76 (365 hp) or  L84 (375 hp) 327 with their "30-30" solid lifter cam. Those were a little faster then the L 79 from 67. With less weight up front those 327’s handle a corner a hell of a lot better then the heavy 427 corvette.... IMO  So I Agee with you .

later slo lane .:shift:

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We should be getting some pictures of BB’s new digs soon . He’s probably sleeping in after all the furniture moving and his car parts and  wheels  .......:hysterical2:

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Nothing new on the C8 today soooo

Mongoose...having owned a few 427 corvettes in the past my experience is they pull like a freight train from 2000 rpms 

Having said that they are basically a low 14 to high 13 second quarter mile car in stock tune. . Nothing earth shattering in today’s standards. A stock 67 L79 can hit the low 14’s all day long plus they handle better . But stop light to stop light the 427 will feel faster seat of the pants in my experience. It’s the torque that does it. Now the 427/435 or 427/400 is a car that is tricky to keep those carbs turned properly. Remember there are 3 old carbs that need rebuilding frequently. Just one carb gets out of adjustment and it not enjoyable at all. Setting the idle and high speed adjustments is critical in getting those high 13 second runs. Then you have to adjust the valves in the 435 to keep her in top Tune. ( that takes 2 people ) No ethenal in those cars if they sit a lot. Those were the days. 

Mongoose...I realize that you had the L76 (365 hp) or  L84 (375 hp) 327 with their "30-30" solid lifter cam. Those were a little faster then the L 79 from 67. With less weight up front those 327’s handle a corner a hell of a lot better then the heavy 427 corvette.... IMO  So I Agee with you .

Hey Slo Lane, don’t get me wrong, I always loved the (Ground Pounder’s 427 C.I. ) ,especially the 435 H.P. , 3x2 set-up!   And, yes the carbs can become very touchy at times!   I was brought up in the “VETTE WOLD” running the 327 C.I. , Hi-P0, small blocks, they were one Hell of a “SCREAMER” when they were tuned right!!   In the past I’ve rebuilt and tuned many Holleys on my Vettes, but I still love my Holleys!!      I will say this, when it comes down to “Awesome” Big block engines, I’ll take the 428 Super Cobra-jet, R-code w/ Drag-Pack ,  (Hands Down) all day long!   That was one very “Awesome Engine”, it could do anything!!      “YES”,  your right, (Those were the Days)!!    Later Bud!    “GOOSE”      :peelout:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

We should be getting some pictures of BB’s new digs soon . He’s probably sleeping in after all the furniture moving and his car parts and  wheels  .......:hysterical2:

I’ll be waiting!!!            :salute:

1 hour ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Slo Lane, don’t get me wrong, I always loved the (Ground Pounder’s 427 C.I. ) ,especially the 435 H.P. , 3x2 set-up!   And, yes the carbs can become very touchy at times!   I was brought up in the “VETTE WOLD” running the 327 C.I. , Hi-P0, small blocks, they were one Hell of a “SCREAMER” when they were tuned right!!   In the past I’ve rebuilt and tuned many Holleys on my Vettes, but I still love my Holleys!!      I will say this, when it comes down to “Awesome” Big block engines, I’ll take the 428 Super Cobra-jet, R-code w/ Drag-Pack ,  (Hands Down) all day long!   That was one very “Awesome Engine”, it could do anything!!      “YES”,  your right, (Those were the Days)!!    Later Bud!    “GOOSE”      :peelout:

The one major issue I had with my 70 Shelby GT 500. In the summer in Atlanta at 92 degrees that engine would run extremely hot. Today I would have put an electri fan to avoid this. The 427 vetttes would just spit up antifreeze on hot days. Remember this was back in the early 80’s. 

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mach 1 1970 said:

The one major issue I had with my 70 Shelby GT 500. In the summer in Atlanta at 92 degrees that engine would run extremely hot. Today I would have put an electri fan to avoid this. The 427 vetttes would just spit up antifreeze on hot days. Remember this was back in the early 80’s. 

+1 my buddy has a 1970 Mach1 428. We were in the annual Apple Harvest Festival town parade with our cars in with a bunch of musclecars. He only lasted about 15 minutes and had to bail and leave the parade because the car was overheating so quickly. I remember that I could see the gobs of heat pouring out of his car!

• Like 1

Hey Slo Lane,  You brought up one of the major problems of the big blocks from all of the manufacturers back in the day!   “EXTEREME”  “HEAT” rolling off the Big Block Engines on a Hot “HUMID” day!   Also, then if you shut it down for a bit to cool off, you would be very lucky if it was willing to turn over fast enough to start that Big Block again!  You always had to make sure that you had a good starter!!    Been there, done that!     Here’s testimony for another reason why I loved my HI-PO small blocks!!  They were some (Bad A$$) Mother’s, and alway’s usually ran about 180 degrees, so they kept their “COOL” too!!!    

24 minutes ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Slo Lane,  You brought up one of the major problems of the big blocks from all of the manufacturers back in the day!   “EXTEREME”  “HEAT” rolling off the Big Block Engines on a Hot “HUMID” day!   Also, then if you shut it down for a bit to cool off, you would be very lucky if it was willing to turn over fast enough to start that Big Block again!  You always had to make sure that you had a good starter!!    Been there, done that!     Here’s testimony for another reason why I loved my HI-PO small blocks!!  They were some (Bad A$$) Mother’s, and alway’s usually ran about 180 degrees, so they kept their “COOL” too!!!    

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Thanks 1

Hey there ya chatty Cathy’s. 

Spent the first night last night in the new place. No pics yet...sorry. :( Still waaaaay too much to do. Had our first scorpion at the front door (inside) last night. It was one of the tiny super poisonous ones. Spent $400 today at Home Depot for “stuff” for the new place. $250 of that was for a ceiling fan for the bedroom. And $12 was for Scorpion traps!!! Bought 12 of em. They’re basically the old school Shell no pest strip glue. Remember them? Only instead of hanging em, they’re on a flat surface so the little buggers can walk across and stick to em. They work awesome! 

Hey Len! Good to see ya around! And real glad to know you had #5671’s airbags sorted out. Maybe Ford will stop mailing me the hate mail?! :hysterical: 

Thanks for all the kind wishes for the new digs fellars. It’s daunting. There’s a million things to do. My top priority is to get my baby’s back in air conditioning. It’s going to be 89 this week already. The epoxy coat gets done by Tuesday’s end. So, I will just be able to get em parked back home the day before I leave back for NJ. for the very last time. So glad to be done with east coast weather AND SALT!!!! :rockon: 

You guys are bringing back some great memories of the old hot rods. And yes, growing up in Az , I totally remember all the old stuff I had back in the day running hot. In fact, if I had a car with A/C I would almost NEVER drive her with the A/C on, even when it was north of 110F outside. Too risky. Thank god all of my current stable is new enuf to be driven without fear of overheating, leaks and poor brakes. My one pet peeve of old cars is the unreliability. 

As for the C8 order forms, I believe they look real. That’d be awfully difficult to create all of that info from scratch. The colors sound pretty wild, if it’s real.

:thumbsup: 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BIKEBOY said:

Spent the first night last night in the new place. No pics yet...sorry. :( Still waaaaay too much to do. Had our first scorpion at the front door (inside) last night. It was one of the tiny super poisonous ones. Spent $400 today at Home Depot for “stuff” for the new place. $250 of that was for a ceiling fan for the bedroom. And $12 was for Scorpion traps!!! Bought 12 of em. They’re basically the old school Shell no pest strip glue. Remember them? Only instead of hanging em, they’re on a flat surface so the little buggers can walk across and stick to em. They work awesome! 

Hey Len! Good to see ya around! And real glad to know you had #5671’s airbags sorted out. Maybe Ford will stop mailing me the hate mail?! :hysterical: 

Thanks for all the kind wishes for the new digs fellars. It’s daunting. There’s a million things to do. My top priority is to get my baby’s back in air conditioning. It’s going to be 89 this week already. The epoxy coat gets done by Tuesday’s end. So, I will just be able to get em parked back home the day before I leave back for NJ. for the very last time. So glad to be done with east coast weather AND SALT!!!! :rockon: 

You guys are bringing back some great memories of the old hot rods. And yes, growing up in Az , I totally remember all the old stuff I had back in the day running hot. In fact, if I had a car with A/C I would almost NEVER drive her with the A/C on, even when it was north of 110F outside. Too risky. Thank god all of my current stable is new enuf to be driven without fear of overheating, leaks and poor brakes. My one pet peeve of old cars is the unreliability. 

As for the C8 order forms, I believe they look real. That’d be awfully difficult to create all of that info from scratch. The colors sound pretty wild, if it’s real.

Ohhh buddy look out for those little poison lobsters!!!....:fear: ………..Glad to hear you're in and getting settled and soon will have all the wheels inside....:thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Hey Chris, glad everything is going good!     What’s up with having Scorpions for your first visitors, and they weren’t even invited????  LOL  :hysterical2:      We had to keep busy talking about the good old days while you were gone, and now it’s your turn!!     :thumbsup:          Later Bud!      “GOOSE”       :peelout:

6 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Chris, glad everything is going good!     What’s up with having Scorpions for your first visitors, and they weren’t even invited????  LOL  :hysterical2:      We had to keep busy talking about the good old days while you were gone, and now it’s your turn!!     :thumbsup:          Later Bud!      “GOOSE”       :peelout:

I second that. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hearing none...all those in favor say EYE....against if any ?.....Motion Carried!!………….:hysterical:

• Haha 1

Ok while waiting on BB.pictures ......:tumbleweed:

I’ll post a recent mule. See how much smaller ( height wise ) the side scoop looks. However the shadows make it appear bigger then it is . Look at the shadows from the mirror for comparison.

This was spotted in the N.C. area. So keep your phones handy. This shot shows a great perspective of the car. No zoom lens to flatten the cars looks. I’m liking what I see. It has a nice stance IMO. 

The square side window might be the spider version with heavy padding on the buttress.

8C145934-3141-4AD5-B19F-F3399CE6DCFC.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

Ok while waiting on BB.pictures ......:tumbleweed:

I’ll post a recent mule. See how much smaller ( taller ) the side scoop looks. However the shadows make it appear bigger then it is . Look at the shadows from the mirror for comparison.

This was spotted in the N.C. area. So keep your phones handy. This shot shows a great perspective of the car. No zoom lens to flatten the cars looks. I’m liking what I see. It has a nice stance IMO. 

The square side window might be the spider version with heavy padding on the buttress.

8C145934-3141-4AD5-B19F-F3399CE6DCFC.jpeg

It does have a nice stance.....they are still doing a great job camoing this beast.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, svtkeith said:

It does have a nice stance.....they are still doing a great job camoing this beast.

Hey you two Jokers!!   Yes, you guys are right, it does look like it’s got a nice stance to it!      It looks like the Chevy Boys aren’t quite done playing (Hide & Seek) with the new C8, but it is getting closer to “Reality”!!:hysterical2:              Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together!  LOL    :salute:          Later Guys!         “GOOSE”   :peelout:

1 hour ago, Mongoose said:

Hey you two Jokers!!   Yes, you guys are right, it does look like it’s got a nice stance to it!      It looks like the Chevy Boys aren’t quite done playing (Hide & Seek) with the new C8, but it is getting closer to “Reality”!!:hysterical2:              Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together!  LOL    :salute:          Later Guys!         “GOOSE”   :peelout:

Especially for Mach who may be getting one!!……….:peelout:

• Like 1

The change in the rear side window is most likely due to GM trying to address some chassis and body issues from where the high horsepower version is bending the car and shattering the rear window. How can people even say a plan is coming together? They are supposedly releasing this thing in August and they haven’t yet worked out the back glass cracking issue, the electrical system is still being completely reworked and the final body design isn’t even done yet, and they cant keep the prototypes from breaking down at fast food joints and convenience stores……….so far I would say their plan to release in August isn’t coming together and my current bet is that it may not even be released until first of next year, if then.  About the only thing they seem to have figured out up till now is the best way to tow it…….

• Haha 1

Holy cow 300.4 mph. Texas mile  .........insane :drop:

Oh Heck yeah the C8 will do that ....according to the spy photos of the odometer .....:party:.:hysterical2:

much later slo lane  .....early April fools 

45FFCA3A-CC3D-4BB2-BBD5-FB2DE34CC5E6.jpeg

05393665-1E51-4DC0-A71F-065AA35EABED.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Holy cow 300.4 mph. Texas mile  .........insane :drop:

Oh Heck yeah the C8 will do that ....according to the spy photos of the odometer .....:party:.:hysterical2:

much later slo lane  .....early April fools 

45FFCA3A-CC3D-4BB2-BBD5-FB2DE34CC5E6.jpeg

05393665-1E51-4DC0-A71F-065AA35EABED.jpeg

The C8 is lucky to make it out of a McDonald’s parking lot under it’s own power………..

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mhr1961 said:

The C8 is lucky to make it out of a McDonald’s parking lot under it’s own power………..

:hysterical2:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

The change in the rear side window is most likely due to GM trying to address some chassis and body issues from where the high horsepower version is bending the car and shattering the rear window. How can people even say a plan is coming together? They are supposedly releasing this thing in August and they haven’t yet worked out the back glass cracking issue, the electrical system is still being completely reworked and the final body design isn’t even done yet, and they cant keep the prototypes from breaking down at fast food joints and convenience stores……….so far I would say their plan to release in August isn’t coming together and my current bet is that it may not even be released until first of next year, if then.  About the only thing they seem to have figured out up till now is the best way to tow it…….

August 2021 maybe is my guess.

• Haha 1