mach 1 1970

OFF TOPIC THREAD......... (was New C8 maybe it’s getting close.)

Hey Chris, yes the new cars are starting to get a little pricey for the average Joe out there.  If Henry Ford was alive right now he wouldn't like the way cars are priced today!  I hate to say this,but it is basically true: The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the middle class get screwed!    "It's the American Way"  ( The almighty dollar rules)!    Like you said, they're all chasing the big SUV craze and raking in the money!  I think it's a good time for a new manufacture to launch a good, basic, and very reasonable and reliable car like you said!   Also concerning using the Mach1 nameplate on an SUV would be a sacrilege in the car world!    The Mach1 nameplate should be held in high esteem, and only be used by Ford on a very special and unique performance Mustang!    As far as the Corvettes go, my first love is the Mid-year Corvette Stingrays, best design in my opinion!  I've owned three 1964 Stingrays, and one 1965 red coupe and numerous other years. And as far as one of the best designed looking Mustang, my wife and I choose the 2007 "Parnelli-Jones" Mustang, very well done and unique!    But we also really like the 2015 and up, Mustang GT, very cool.:cool:   Also, Chris your Gurney Eagle is pretty cool and rare, and I really wouldn't mind owning a George Follmer Mustang!  LOL  :lol:   We'll just have to all sit tight and see what the future will produce!

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout:

Why the big deal over Ford putting the Mach 1 name on an SUV? They also stuck Cobra on the Torino, Mopar sticks Hemi all over everthing to imply performance, Shelby sticks Super Snake on a truck.............nameplates get swapped around all the time, it sells.

6 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Chris, yes the new cars are starting to get a little pricey for the average Joe out there.  If Henry Ford was alive right now he wouldn't like the way cars are priced today!  I hate to say this,but it is basically true: The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the middle class get screwed!    "It's the American Way"  ( The almighty dollar rules)!    Like you said, they're all chasing the big SUV craze and raking in the money!  I think it's a good time for a new manufacture to launch a good, basic, and very reasonable and reliable car like you said!   Also concerning using the Mach1 nameplate on an SUV would be a sacrilege in the car world!    The Mach1 nameplate should be held in high esteem, and only be used by Ford on a very special and unique performance Mustang!    As far as the Corvettes go, my first love is the Mid-year Corvette Stingrays, best design in my opinion!  I've owned three 1964 Stingrays, and one 1965 red coupe and numerous other years. And as far as one of the best designed looking Mustang, my wife and I choose the 2007 "Parnelli-Jones" Mustang, very well done and unique!    But we also really like the 2015 and up, Mustang GT, very cool.:cool:   Also, Chris your Gurney Eagle is pretty cool and rare, and I really wouldn't mind owning a George Follmer Mustang!  LOL  :lol:   We'll just have to all sit tight and see what the future will produce!

Later!

Couldn't agree more on the Mach1 name plate put on an SUV....An iconic name like Mach1 in the muscle car world is better deserved

on a Mustang and if Ford is not planning on that then the name should be retired IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Why the big deal over Ford putting the Mach 1 name on an SUV? They also stuck Cobra on the Torino, Mopar sticks Hemi all over everthing to imply performance, Shelby sticks Super Snake on a truck.............nameplates get swapped around all the time, it sells.

Ford didn't just stick Cobra on an ordinary Torino...The only Torino that had Cobra stamped on the side was also packing a big 428cj in 1968

and a 429scj in 1970 along with some cosmetic goodies that made it stand out...as far as Mopar using the Hemi badging on their trucks is

the same reason they had it on Cudas Challengers Road Runners on other cars back in the day was because of the Hemi engine same as

the Ram trucks of today because of the Hemi engine...you won't see Hemi on an SUV unless it's got a Hemi engine in it...As far as Shelby SS on

an F-150 it's no ordinary truck by far.. anything that packs 750hp is worthy of the name but what Ford is planning on doing is putting the name

Mach1 on an ECO SUV and that's a totally different ballgame and not worth of the name IMO

• Like 4

1 hour ago, svtkeith said:

Ford didn't just stick Cobra on an ordinary Torino...The only Torino that had Cobra stamped on the side was also packing a big 428cj in 1968

and a 429scj in 1970 along with some cosmetic goodies that made it stand out...as far as Mopar using the Hemi badging on their trucks is

the same reason they had it on Cudas Challengers Road Runners on other cars back in the day was because of the Hemi engine same as

the Ram trucks of today because of the Hemi engine...you won't see Hemi on an SUV unless it's got a Hemi engine in it...As far as Shelby SS on

an F-150 it's no ordinary truck by far.. anything that packs 750hp is worthy of the name but what Ford is planning on doing is putting the name

Mach1 on an ECO SUV and that's a totally different ballgame and not worth of the name IMO

It is not an just an ECO SUV ,articles are saying it will be a high performance SUV, by your logic above the Mach 1 name is therefor OK to stick on Ford's SUV since the reasoning is its OK to stick names like super snake or Cobra on something because its high performance, so you sort of reinforced my point not your own. Not arguing here, just pointing out that simply because the SUV may have an ecoboost doesn't mean it won't be high performance. Don't forget, an Ecoboost won Le mans and dozens of other races.  And also don't forget they had already stuck the Mach 1 name on the side of a 105hp V6 Mustang in 1973. Sso one could ask is that really high performance even by the standards of that "era"?.......No its not. Again Ford and others switch around nameplates to "evoke" the image of performance, not always matching performance.

Edited by mhr1961
spelling

Retractable hardtop features. See green arrow around the weather stripping. So looks like no soft top and it’s about time corvette had a retractable hardtop. 

3607163D-28F0-4DA2-AB1F-9DEAD534ADF9.jpeg

320855F3-4598-4DF7-BE8A-ECC109C14FD9.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Retractable hardtop features. See green arrow around the weather stripping. So looks like no soft top and it’s about time corvette had a retractable hardtop. 

3607163D-28F0-4DA2-AB1F-9DEAD534ADF9.jpeg

320855F3-4598-4DF7-BE8A-ECC109C14FD9.jpeg

:rockon:

• Like 1

Hey Mike....sorry for my long winded post last night on your C8 thread....

I see this morning I picked at a scab..... 

:doh:

2 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

It is not an just an ECO SUV ,articles are saying it will be a high performance SUV, by your logic above the Mach 1 name is therefor OK to stick on Ford's SUV since the reasoning is its OK to stick names like super snake or Cobra on something because its high performance, so you sort of reinforced my point not your own. Not arguing here, just pointing out that simply because the SUV may have an ecoboost doesn't mean it won't be high performance. Don't forget, an Ecoboost won Le mans and dozens of other races.  And also don't forget they had already stuck the Mach 1 name on the side of a 105hp V6 Mustang in 1973. Sso one could ask is that really high performance even by the standards of that "era"?.......No its not. Again Ford and others switch around nameplates to "evoke" the image of performance, not always matching performance.

Not arguing either it's JMO that the name Mach1 belongs on a Mustang not an SUV and from the reading I saw it's an ECO SUV....as far as Ford put Mach1

on a Mustang back in 73 is making my point "at least it was on a Mustang"...and as far as I remember the 73 Mach1 in it's day was as high perf as most other

brands at the time with the exception of the 74 Trans Am 455SD other than that the 73 Mustang was worthy of the name Mach1.

• Like 2

Most articles are saying it going its going to be a performance SUV not some economy mediocre performance platform, there was one or two articles I read a while back that speculated ecoboost but most recent articles/new leaks say it will be all electric performance SUV . Either way they aren’t just thinking about sticking the Mach 1 name on a low powered economy SUV. I guess the real issue for older enthusiast’s vs younger is how performance is defined. For most boomers, performance is usually defined as high hp big displacement of their youth ……..that just isn’t the case anymore…..like it or not the 50 and older crowd opinions  don’t really matter as much to performance car manufacturing as in the past. The marketing focus is on the 25 to 49 year old crowd coming in to their peak earning years and in general their definition of performance is extracting hi hp from smaller displacement/turbo/electrics/ hybrids  shoved in to a well-balanced platform that delivers good fuel economy. Manufacturers shift with the times. In 1973, economy and smog prevention became a focus and it is why you saw Mach 1 slathered on that “bitchin” 73 Mustang. Also all this concept/pre release/teasing of the Mach 1 name is also to gauge the public reaction. If marketing research dictates that the Mach 1 name will sell a performance SUV you can just about bet your paycheck you  will see Mach 1 decals and badges  slathered all over an Electric SUV  in 2020

Sorry, back to topic of making fun of vettes and vette owners…..er……. discussing vettes…… :)

found the rare vette owner who is under the age of 55....................

douchebags_13.jpg.2f949f298e90a7ab568005ca65899c22.jpg

Edited by mhr1961

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

Nice video thanks for sharing....I think it would be a bad idea for GM to make the front end of the ME Vette look like the C7's front end...IMO they

should do like Ford did with the Ford GT and make it so that' it's a totally different looking car than a Mustang...Ford hit the nail on the head looks wise

with the 05-06 making it look retro from the original Ford GT and nothing like a Mustang...Vette has to go with it's own look for the ME C8.

• Like 1

Keefer, I saw the hood nostrils you were talking about on the new Chally. Yeah.....not so much. Don’t belong on a Slopar car. You’re right. More a Pontiac thing for sure. 

They need to do a Barracuda and be done with it. 

I hope Ford does a BOSS 429 small SUV. That’d be cool......

edit- BOSS 4=four cylinder 29= 2.9 Litre :hysterical2:

:stirpot:

Edited by BIKEBOY
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BIKEBOY said:

Keefer, I saw the hood nostrils you were talking about on the new Chally. Yeah.....not so much. Don’t belong on a Slopar car. You’re right. More a Pontiac thing for sure. 

:hysterical:

May as well BB makes as much sense as the Mach1 electro mobile......:doh:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Nice video Mike!  I'll take the red one, and quite teasing me with it!!!!!!  :cool:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"     :peelout:

7 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Chris, I'll definitely go for the "Cuda" being made!   Keep stirring that pot, there's all kinds of mis-information out there and it's kind a cool and fun talking about it all!   P.S. Keep it coming!!!!  :talkhand:

Later!

13 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Chris, I'll definitely go for the "Cuda" being made!   Keep stirring that pot, there's all kinds of mis-information out there and it's kind a cool and fun talking about it all!   P.S. Keep it coming!!!!  :talkhand:

Later!

I’m doing my part!! :hysterical:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

I’m doing my part!! :hysterical:

Hey Chris, they don't call us the pot- stirs for nothing!   :stirpot:      LOL  :hysterical2:

9 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

This might be the hardtop version for the C8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_rzDOGe3nI

That 458 is an awesome looking car without doubt hard top or not BUT that first picture you posted on this thread

of a rendering of the ME C8 is gorgeous...When GM does release the C8 if it looks like that picture it'll be one hot car

and will sell like hotcakes IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

This might be the hardtop version for the C8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_rzDOGe3nI

Hey, Captain Mike!   Awesome video,very cool hardtop, and in red too!  I thought I told you to quite teasing me with these cool videos!!!! LOL:hysterical2:

:peelout:I have to get u off Lincoln’s for Pete’s sake. 

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

:peelout:I have to get u off Lincoln’s for Pete’s sake. 

I'm not on the "Stinkin Lincoln" you "Land Yacht" lover!  Say hi to your "Cat", Oh I mean dog "Baily"!!! LOL   :puppy_kiss:     Mike, I hope you and your wife, and Baily too are having a great vacation!  :)

Later!

Rumors on the new C8 engine options.......A base LT1 550hp...A N/A DOHC 5.5L 600hp with an 8000rpm redline.

and the top engine option...A Twin turbo 5.5L with 800hp......could be all speculation but if true that twin turbo would be sweet.

• Like 1

I agree, a twin turbo pushing 800H.P. does sound pretty good and it could possibly do the trick!   But, with the "Big Three" in the horse-power wars who currently knows whats needed in the horse-power department to stay on top and be "King of the Hill"!!!!!  LOL  :lol:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"    :peelout:

7 hours ago, Mongoose said:

I agree, a twin turbo pushing 800H.P. does sound pretty good and it could possibly do the trick!   But, with the "Big Three" in the horse-power wars who currently knows whats needed in the horse-power department to stay on top and be "King of the Hill"!!!!!  LOL  :lol:

Later!

Very true....love this new HP war!!...............:peelout:

• Like 1

Hopefully during these horse-power wars of the big three, we, the average Joe, car buying public will hopefully benefit from their research and design on these new models and also make them affordable!!!!  LOL  :lol:

Later!

1 hour ago, Mongoose said:

Hopefully during these horse-power wars of the big three, we, the average Joe, car buying public will hopefully benefit from their research and design on these new models and also make them affordable!!!!  LOL  :lol:

Later!

Yes that's beginning to be an issue.....The Super Snake F-150 in these parts is going for $105k at dealers with zero ADM's...Crazy!!

• Like 1