mach 1 1970

OFF TOPIC THREAD......... (was New C8 maybe it’s getting close.)

Just now, Mongoose said:

Hey Tim, just to give you a heads up, I’m not a fan boy as you guys say.  I’m the real deal, a car nut, gear head, motor head, and lover of all cool & fast cars, bikes, planes or basically anything that has a nice engine in it.  I grew up loving the mid-year Corvettes from a young teen and I bought my first Corvette at age 19. I’ve had Vettes ever since, plus many other performance cars of different brands including my current Shelby GT that always puts a smile on my face.  So, if it’s alright with you don’t classify me as a fan boy because that’s not who I am!!!!   To me, a real die-hard car guy who loves real performance cars should appreciate and respect and not put down other brand performance cars and their owners just because they don’t like or appreciate what they drive. If we can “All” act like intelligent adults who like to talk and own cool cars of different brands and not be so narrow minded toward other brands and people that have different opinions than yours, but that we still show respect towards them this would be a better world and forum!   This is what I wish for Christmas Tim, so how about it, from one car guy to another??   :shrug:

Done. But you are missing my point. There is no attempt on my part to put down the C8, What I am saying is, at the base level, all these pre production numbers dont add up. Its all hyperbole until it actually shows up. I mention a 350 on a road course and I get 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times thrown back.  All of us know that's not what a 350 is designed to do. Comparing one car to another is natural. Brand competition is natural. While I get you are all excited by the C8, can we let a little realism set in? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, svttim said:

Agreed, all speculation until we have a head to head but, 0-60 times are meaningless at Road Atlanta and, FE cars have some advantages on a road course. Comparing a 1/4 mile time for a GT350 to the C8 is like trying to get a hellcat to turn. ME cars present their own challenges. Either way, the GT500 will have its way with the Base C8. 0-60 may be to the C8 but by the time the 1/4 mile comes in, its game over. And, the GT500 will turn as well

Hey Tim, your not comparing apples to apples, there both totally different cars and the 2020 GT 500 has a very large H.P. advantage.  If you really want to compare the cars that bad why don’t you wait a little while and than take on a ZO6 or maybe a cool C8R.  Then at least you’ll be closer in the H.P. dept. to make it a little more fair.  I hope some day all you guys will realize that the C8 base car is one hell of a deal at 59,995 no matter how you decipher it!   It’s simply a real no-brainer!    :banghead:     Also the base C8 is more than capable doing street duty 0 to 60 or stop light to stop light duty, it’s just that simple!     :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, svttim said:

Done. But you are missing my point. There is no attempt on my part to put down the C8, What I am saying is, at the base level, all these pre production numbers dont add up. Its all hyperbole until it actually shows up. I mention a 350 on a road course and I get 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times thrown back.  All of us know that's not what a 350 is designed to do. Comparing one car to another is natural. Brand competition is natural. While I get you are all excited by the C8, can we let a little realism set in? 

Hey Tim,  I wasn’t trying to personally put you down or your opinions your entitled to them.  And your right, comparison is good  and natural to do especially when everything is equal, comparing brands is normal as long as it’s done fairly without trashing it even before it hits the streets as some of the guys have done.  What I have a very hard time to understand is all the nay-sayers and haters of a very cool innovative new designed mid-engine C8 Corvette.   Sure, we all have different opinions on things that’s natural, but all the put downs on this new C8 by some of the guys is very sad to see from some supposedly guys that like cars, there just down-right critical and nasty at times and that’s not very cool in my book!   :drop:        Okay, later Tim!     P.S. I don’t have a problem with you!! :)

4 hours ago, svttim said:

Its fair because those are the two cars out there at the time. And Ill take that bet. Of course, driver is everything. BTW, is that 50 Canadian? ;)

It's a deal Tim....well if I win you pay me in US coin and if you win I pay you in CDN coin....sounds fair huh??………..:spiteful: ….$50US is only $1000CDN

still sound good?......:hysterical:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Secondo said:

Keith, I said I wasn't interested in the C8's current pre-production car's test results. I am, however, interested in and looking forward to the production car's test results when they are released sometime in February. 

I do know for a mathematical fact that it takes quite a bit more than 500HP to get an object weighing 3647lbs to 60mph in 2.8 seconds. That's all I'm saying. No hating involved. You guys do keep quoting the test times of a car not in production yet, so you do sound brainwashed by the hype. 

No you're brainwashed with what YOU want to believe.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, svtkeith said:

:thumbsup:+!

5 hours ago, Secondo said:

:doh: omg this ^ guy really needs to learn how to READ.

:banghead:       :shrug:

18 hours ago, svttim said:

You have all become fan boys. 

Yes we are ( fan guys ) of several makes of performance cars .

I’m a fan guy  ......depending on what year you are referring to. The following makes has turned me into a fan GUY. .....BMW 335i coupe, 911SC, 914/6, 308 spyder/ coupe. Ford GT,  Jaguar  F Type R.  Pontiac GTO,  Chevelle  454, Camaro Z/28,  Boss 302. And over 14 Corvettes and 12 Shelby’s. Both old and current except the 2020 Shelby. 

Future cars are the C8 with the Z51 trim. My last Z06 was a 2003 model. The C7 Z06 wasn’t on my radar....too much hp. The last Shelby I owned was a 2014 and 662 hp was too much hp for me. So I don’t expect to purchase a 20 Shelby again too much hp for me.  That’s the way car guys roll fellas. We want a car we can enjoy on the street and maybe the track . 

I saw the video that speed plenum made on his 2020 GT 500 1/4 mile pass.  He simply held onto the steering wheel put his right foot to the floor and the computer in the car clicked off a 10.66. Now that’s what we have come to fellas. Without all those nannies no way a 776 hp FE car can handle that much hp. Turn off the launch control and see what he can do. 

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Secondo said:

Mike I hear ya but not even a ME car can go 2.8 0-60 with only 495HP. The laws of physics apply to them too. We will have to see when an actual production car is tested. I look forward to it. Not interested in the numbers from Chevy-generated hype or brainwashed Vette enthusiasts.  

BGA plant has turned out over 200+ C8’s . These cars have been on the streets and tested by GM over the past year. The DCT trans have been produced for over a year now. The 2LT engines have been in production for over a year now. All the parts have been in production and are being stock piled for production. The plant has been producing C8’s for two weeks now. These C8’s will be sold to the public after they have served their purpose. All the engineering has been basically done and the final product is all but done. This car can be fine turned from the cloud . So basically what you see is what you will get. GM said the C8 in Z51 trim  ( $5K option ) $65K msrp. will reach 60 in under 3 seconds. FACT 

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, svtkeith said:

No the brainwashing is done by manufacturers who try to put way too much hp into a  FE configuration  The reason the corvette went to ME design is because the engineering had taken the FE design as far as it could go. A new configuration was needed for future performance cars. Let’s compare a 770 hp ME sportscar to a 770 hp FE coupe and see the track times. No contest you will find. Could the mustang ever go ME ...don’t think so. It’s not a 2 seat sportscar and never will be .....which is fine . 

Explain how you fan boys are going to get your hands on a 2020 Shelby GT500 with those tremendous ADMs and taxes you will pay on top of that. $85K to $128K for a deprecating asset isn’t on my radar fellas. Carroll Shelby wasn’t a fan of a product that the fan base can’t afford. You can read all about it all you want ...but are you going to buy one ? 

Later slo lane .:shift:

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 2

+1 Mike. I won't be buying a new GT500 until the prices come down. 

7 minutes ago, Secondo said:

+1 Mike. I won't be buying a new GT500 until the prices come down. 

By then you could buy a C8 Z06 that will blow the doors off of all ME sports cars ...count on it and for a lot less money 💰 That’s if 700 + hp is your thing. I know it’s Keith thing and I respect that. He will have one someday count on it. He buys what is out there no matter the manufacturer . Mongoose is still looking for that hot rod Lincoln. ...:hysterical2:

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

By then you could buy a C8 Z06 that will blow the doors off of all ME sports cars ...count on it and for a lot lees money 💰 

You may be right but I'm going to wait and see. I'm not jumping on any hype bandwagon just yet. Looked at a few C7's last year that were pretty nice and very competitively priced. It was tempting but I'm really enjoying my current car. 

Some more stuff ( or hype according to the non fan boys ) ..:hysterical2:  that there is a FPC twin turbo V/8 in the C8R ...maybe the next engine for the up coming Z06 I hear  ....:happyfeet:  stay tuned Keith   

Can’t wait until Daytona next January  ...oh boy what fun for 4 crazy days of speed ....:dance: Will those two FPC engines last 24 hours and WIN ???  No Ford in the game anymore ..:shrug: just BMW , Porsche and Ferrari to contend with . I’ll watch the mustang GT4 race in Friday’s 4 hour race . Kind of the step child race to the endurance 24 hour race. But they put on a pretty good show with like 20+ cars in the field . Very competitive I will say. 

Edited by mach 1 1970

On 12/13/2019 at 9:57 AM, mach 1 1970 said:

Boy I’m starting to worry about you Hawk....:hysterical:

If the Santa looks creepy stay away. So you take kids to see Santa :shrug:

Oh hell no, I was smart enough not to have spawn.

17 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Tim, just to give you a heads up, I’m not a fan boy as you guys say.  I’m the real deal, a car nut, gear head, motor head, and lover of all cool & fast cars, bikes, planes or basically anything that has a nice engine in it.  I grew up loving the mid-year Corvettes from a young teen and I bought my first Corvette at age 19. I’ve had Vettes ever since, plus many other performance cars of different brands including my current Shelby GT that always puts a smile on my face.

You just defined what a fan boy is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, svttim said:

I’m a little of tired with the statement the 350 is a track car not a drag car. The 2020 is all of a sudden a track car and a drag car. So I say the Shelby GT 350 is a track car with a slow drag time. There fixed it. On the street for some reason my 2018 350 feels a lot better on the street then the 16 track pack 350 I had 3 years ago. Don’t know why. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

I’m a little of tired with the statement the 350 is a track car not a drag car. The 2020 is all of a sudden a track car and a drag car. So I say the Shelby GT 350 is a track car with a slow drag time. There fixed it. On the street for some reason my 2018 350 feels a lot better on the street then the 16 track pack 350 I had 3 years ago. Don’t know why. 

But wasn't the 350 designed for the track, and the 500s more with straight line power?  Any car is a track and drag car, even my '64 1/2 Mustang, they just may not do them well.  Or they may do one much better than the other.

1 minute ago, DrHawkeye said:

But wasn't the 350 designed for the track, and the 500s more with straight line power?  Any car is a track and drag car, even my '64 1/2 Mustang, they just may not do them well.  Or they may do one much better than the other.

:thumbsup:  Just tired of people saying Don’t  quote 1/4 times because it’s track car. GM always gave 1/4 times for the modern Z/28. Don’t feel bad that the 350 is no faster then a mustang GT in the 1/4 mile. Just like the 2020 Shelby GT500 a DCT would of taken care of that. 

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

By then you could buy a C8 Z06 that will blow the doors off of all ME sports cars ...count on it and for a lot less money 💰 That’s if 700 + hp is your thing. I know it’s Keith thing and I respect that. He will have one someday count on it. He buys what is out there no matter the manufacturer . Mongoose is still looking for that hot rod Lincoln. ...:hysterical2:

BINGO!!!!…..Well this man got it!!…..I don't buy brand I buy what turns my crank I really don't care what manufacturer builds it...hell they could

call it a Russian Lada if I like it I'll buy it....:thumbsup: ……..Well if it has 2000rwhp that is!!…..:hysterical:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrHawkeye said:

Oh hell no, I was smart enough not to have spawn.

Best thing to ever happen to me was my two boys...However to each their own on that one....Hey you got Laika...….:puppy_kiss:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, svtkeith said:

BINGO!!!!…..Well this man got it!!…..I don't buy brand I buy what turns my crank I really don't care what manufacturer builds it...hell they could

call it a Russian Lada if I like it I'll buy it....:thumbsup: ……..Well if it has 2000rwhp that is!!…..:hysterical:

.:hysterical2:.:hysterical:.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Some more stuff ( or hype according to the non fan boys ) ..:hysterical2:  that there is a FPC twin turbo V/8 in the C8R ...maybe the next engine for the up coming Z06 I hear  ....:happyfeet:  stay tuned Keith   

Can’t wait until Daytona next January  ...oh boy what fun for 4 crazy days of speed ....:dance: Will those two FPC engines last 24 hours and WIN ???  No Ford in the game anymore ..:shrug: just BMW , Porsche and Ferrari to contend with . I’ll watch the mustang GT4 race in Friday’s 4 hour race . Kind of the step child race to the endurance 24 hour race. But they put on a pretty good show with like 20+ cars in the field . Very competitive I will say. 

Yup hearing the same thing...the street version will get an engine very similar to the C8R.....:shift:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Best thing to ever happen to me was my two boys...However to each their own on that one....Hey you got Laika...….:puppy_kiss:

Best thing to happen to us was a son ...now a daughter in law and two fabulous grandkids.  Like you said to each their own. 

8D3D5938-B15F-41F4-A203-F4F3AEE35463.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 2

We argue about comparing two great cars but this was taken from what Tadge said recently  

Tadge noted today on Autoline that only 5% of Corvette folks track their cars. And IMO less than 50% of the rest who do not track their cars will even get close to the limits of their Corvette during the entire time they own it. I drove my C7 Z06 for 4 1/2 years to 28 states, and did I ever hit 1.0 G on the street? I did not. And that car was capable of 1.12G.

Worrying about 1/10 off 1/10 of one percent that will not even come close to being relevant for almost all Corvette drivers, is just a source of needless angst. I love the expression that “we can worry so big, and almost all the rest we never encounter, never need to even think about.”

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, svttim said:

Agreed, all speculation until we have a head to head but, 0-60 times are meaningless at Road Atlanta and, FE cars have some advantages on a road course. Comparing a 1/4 mile time for a GT350 to the C8 is like trying to get a hellcat to turn. ME cars present their own challenges. Either way, the GT500 will have its way with the Base C8. 0-60 may be to the C8 but by the time the 1/4 mile comes in, its game over. And, the GT500 will turn as well

It’s a known fact in physics that a 60/40 weight distribution is the perfect set up. Indy cars to IMSA prototype have that set up. Even Porsche has moved the engine to meet this weight distribution in GTLM class. Look at the Ford GT that raced for the last 4 years. He’ll look at the 1966 Ford GT 40. It’s a proven formula that works.  The FE cars now a days must push the tire technology to the limits to compete. Cup 2 tires are necessary but with a ME car you don’t need that radical tire design for the identical results. You guys stuck in the 90 FE technology can’t see the benefits because you only see the mustang. Move forward or fall behind . Indy cars did away with FE cars decades ago. Heck zora wanted ME back in the 60’s. Bob lutz would not allow it and would fire anyone working on it. Glad he’s out to pasture. So please lose the false idea that FE can compete with ME all things being equal. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

.:hysterical2:.:hysterical:.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup::peelout:

2 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Yup hearing the same thing...the street version will get an engine very similar to the C8R.....:shift:

Hey guys, that will be one hell of a tear on the street scene for sure!