mach 1 1970

OFF TOPIC THREAD......... (was New C8 maybe it’s getting close.)

2 hours ago, svtkeith said:

:hysterical:

:hysterical2:

4 hours ago, DrHawkeye said:

You just defined what a fan boy is.

No I think Mongoose defined what a performance car buff is. Someone that likes and understands  performance cars no matter the make. 

Edited by mach 1 1970

2 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Best thing to happen to us was a son ...now a daughter in law and two fabulous grandkids.  Like you said to each their own. 

8D3D5938-B15F-41F4-A203-F4F3AEE35463.jpeg

Hey bud, you have two beautiful grandkids!  Your one very “Lucky” guy for sure!!       :thumbsup:

We argue about comparing two great cars but this was taken from what Tadge said recently  

Tadge noted today on Autoline that only 5% of Corvette folks track their cars. And IMO less than 50% of the rest who do not track their cars will even get close to the limits of their Corvette during the entire time they own it. I drove my C7 Z06 for 4 1/2 years to 28 states, and did I ever hit 1.0 G on the street? I did not. And that car was capable of 1.12G.

Worrying about 1/10 off 1/10 of one percent that will not even come close to being relevant for almost all Corvette drivers, is just a source of needless angst. I love the expression that “we can worry so big, and almost all the rest we never encounter, never need to even think about.”

:thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

It’s a known fact in physics that a 60/40 weight distribution is the perfect set up. Indy cars to IMSA prototype have that set up. Even Porsche has moved the engine to meet this weight distribution in GTLM class. Look at the Ford GT that raced for the last 4 years. He’ll look at the 1966 Ford GT 40. It’s a proven formula that works.  The FE cars now a days must push the tire technology to the limits to compete. Cup 2 tires are necessary but with a ME car you don’t need that radical tire design for the identical results. You guys stuck in the 90 FE technology can’t see the benefits because you only see the mustang. Move forward or fall behind . Indy cars did away with FE cars decades ago. Heck zora wanted ME back in the 60’s. Bob lutz would not allow it and would fire anyone working on it. Glad he’s out to pasture. So please lose the false idea that FE can compete with ME all things being equal. 

:thumbsup:  Great post bud!  Very well said and hit it right on the head!

4 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

We argue about comparing two great cars but this was taken from what Tadge said recently  

Tadge noted today on Autoline that only 5% of Corvette folks track their cars. And IMO less than 50% of the rest who do not track their cars will even get close to the limits of their Corvette during the entire time they own it. I drove my C7 Z06 for 4 1/2 years to 28 states, and did I ever hit 1.0 G on the street? I did not. And that car was capable of 1.12G.

Worrying about 1/10 off 1/10 of one percent that will not even come close to being relevant for almost all Corvette drivers, is just a source of needless angst. I love the expression that “we can worry so big, and almost all the rest we never encounter, never need to even think about.”

I agree...two great cars pick your poison...plus it matters not who tracks them or not if they give you pleasure just owning one that's good enough..

heck my garage in attached to my house and sometimes during a winter storm I love going in there turning the heat up and waxing the ZR1...I did

the same with the Trans Am...Termie..GT500..and so on...…..Oh but I still have a bet with Tim that I will win by the way!!….:hysterical:

Best thing to happen to us was a son ...now a daughter in law and two fabulous grandkids.  Like you said to each their own. 

8D3D5938-B15F-41F4-A203-F4F3AEE35463.jpeg

The best thing in life right there...NOTHING comes close IMO......:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, svtkeith said:

I agree...two great cars pick your poison...plus it matters not who tracks them or not if they give you pleasure just owning one that's good enough..

heck my garage in attached to my house and sometimes during a winter storm I love going in there turning the heat up and waxing the ZR1...I did

the same with the Trans Am...Termie..GT500..and so on...…..Oh but I still have a bet with Tim that I will win by the way!!….:hysterical:

Hey Keefer, yes two great cars that are different, but at the same time both very cool too!!  :thumbsup:   But now I’m being serious and my money is on you bud!  :peelout:

P.S. Don’t disappointment me!!!     :hysterical2:

3 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Keefer, yes two great cars that are different, but at the same time both very cool too!!  :thumbsup:   But now I’m being serious and my money is on you bud!  :peelout:

P.S. Don’t disappointment me!!!     :hysterical2:

:spend: ……………..:dance:

Speed phenum on the track with his 2020 Shelby GT 500. Lots of amateurs especially the Porsche guy. Look at his race line. Hit those rumble strips guys. The Shelby must be in tour mode it’s the bounciest ride I’ve seen in awhile. Hope this young fella brings some young people into our cars. Enjoy 

Edited by mach 1 1970

21 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Best thing to ever happen to me was my two boys...However to each their own on that one....Hey you got Laika...….:puppy_kiss:

I'll take my puppy over kids anytime.

18 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

No I think Mongoose defined what a performance car buff is. Someone that likes and understands  performance cars no matter the make. 

Tomato, tomahto.  Same thing.

Speed phenum on the track with his 2020 Shelby GT 500. Lots of amateurs especially the Porsche guy. Look at his race line. Hit those rumble strips guys. The Shelby must be in tour mode it’s the bounciest ride I’ve seen in awhile. Hope this young fella brings some young people into our cars. Enjoy 

This young fella is putting some great first hand content out on the GT500....I fail to see where he passed the ZL1-1LE though...:headscratch: ..not saying it won't just

never saw that.....the GT500 is performing great so far and he's not a bad driver at all...…..:peelout:

8 hours ago, svtkeith said:

:spend: ……………..:dance:

1 hour ago, svtkeith said:

This young fella is putting some great first hand content out on the GT500....I fail to see where he passed the ZL1-1LE though...:headscratch: ..not saying it won't just

never saw that.....the GT500 is performing great so far and he's not a bad driver at all...…..:peelout:

22 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

:thumbsup:Exactly bud!   Thanks for the explanation!!   

20 hours ago, svtkeith said:

The best thing in life right there...NOTHING comes close IMO......:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:+1

Hey bud, thanks for posting that cool track video!  That guy sure does look a like kid, but it looks like he’s beyond his years out on the track, that’s for sure, and it takes some balls to do that!    That new 2020 GT 500 looks like it will be able to definitely hold it’s own out on the track. It could possibly be a little to much over-powered for certain track use until the driver really gets a very good handle on it’s characteristics on handling.    The kid said for now his GT 350R holds better or more stable out on the track, but that could possibly change with more experience.  Now, in the future will get to see how two cool new cars, like the 2020 GT500 and the new C8 Corvette do as they go up against each other.  Also, how they do up against the Exotics costing thousands of dollars more, should be a eye-opening experience for sure!  :)

Ok here are the track results between the C8 and the GT500 and the GT500 carbon fiber track  pack. Price wise $ 92,425 there is a lot more money for the top of the line GT500 especially when you add on those nasty ADMs  $92,425 + adm $112K  + tax . 

Since  I’m not tracking any one of these . I’ll take the modern beautiful new design corner carver C8 all day long. The Shelby GT350 has been with us since 2015 and the design is still beautiful. But the GT 500 isn’t something all new and exciting to look at. We have seen it before . There is no wow factor in looks. I personally like then front of the 350 better. So there is one comparison so far. If the C8 cost over $73K  I would not be in the market. A base GT500 for $73K is very attractive in my book. But the looks and ME experience is what I’m looking for in the $73K market  Plus the interior is very stylish and a step forward in looks. The new Bose system is the loudest that company has ever made . So no distortion at all and state of the art from what I’ve read. Just  a lot of new technology in the C8. It’s an all NEW car not a refresh C7. The future high performance C8’s are going to dominate the under $100K market.

Ford did something Dodge couldn’t and can’t . Hats off to a fine track car that kicks ass at the drags . Anyone would be a foolish to buy a dodge anymore after this showing. Dodge go back to the drawing board. Sorry not a mopar fan I once has a Saleen dodge and what a POS. They could not get a proper tune in that car after many attempts. Never again .

So, to the numbers: Lap times for the C8 Z51 and the standard GT500 were quite comparable, though achieved in different ways. The Shelby evaporates the straights; the C8 carves the corners.

The Shelby carries the load of your family, so in spite of its fantastic, predictable balance, the Corvette can leave it in the twisties, driven precisely.

Once we tried the GT500 equipped with the Carbon Fiber Track package, however, it was all over for the street 'Vette. The CFTP Shelby is magic on the racetrack, wearing R-compound Sport Cup 2s, carbon wheels, lower and firmer springs/bars/shocks, a proper wing and hell-yes-they-work aero fitments, and much more. Fire it up, and the Shelby is long gone in a blaze of glory.

So here's the greatest difference between these fantastical motorcars. Shelby: raging, proficient power. C8 Corvette: precision, potential, and style. The price, similar. The choice, yours. The pleasure, ecstatic.

Edited by mach 1 1970

17 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Ok here are the track results between the C8 and the GT500 and the GT500 track pack. 

So, to the numbers: Lap times for the C8 Z51 and the standard GT500 were quite comparable, though achieved in different ways. The Shelby evaporates the straights; the C8 carves the corners.

The Shelby carries the load of your family, so in spite of its fantastic, predictable balance, the Corvette can leave it in the twisties, driven precisely.

Once we tried the GT500 equipped with the Carbon Fiber Track package, however, it was all over for the street 'Vette. The CFTP Shelby is magic on the racetrack, wearing R-compound Sport Cup 2s, carbon wheels, lower and firmer springs/bars/shocks, a proper wing and hell-yes-they-work aero fitments, and much more. Fire it up, and the Shelby is long gone in a blaze of glory.

So here's the greatest difference between these fantastical motorcars. Shelby: raging, proficient power. C8 Corvette: precision, potential, and style. The price, similar. The choice, yours. The pleasure, ecstatic.

Hey guy, like you said before it’s a great time to be a car guy and lover of cool performance cars.   We are very lucky to have two new “Outstanding Cars” to chose from whether your a Ford guy or Chevy guy there’s one right for you.  Or you could be like some of us car guys and really like both Ford and Chevys and some others and that’s very cool too!   What ever your choice is, there both great cars in their own right, and a pretty good buy considering there able to beat a lot of the exotic cars out there for a hell of a lot more money, just saying.     :peelout:

2 hours ago, svtkeith said:

7 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Porsche guy misses a lot of lines, Shelby driver is not smooth. I realize its his first time in the car, Funny, He said the 350R had better corner speeds. Not bad for a slow car

One thing that really I can’t understand is why anyone would buy a base C8 or C7  The Z51 package is only $5000 which you get the adjustable exhaust a $900 stand alone option. But more important you get the trans cooler. We are talking about a DCT trans that must run at a specific temp range. Overheat one and its a disaster in the making. You get an electronic rear end which assist in traction control in the corners. Plus a cooler . Bigger breaks and performance gearing in the trans. So if you push the car hard your components will not overheat . Therefore longevity will improve.  But I guess there are the guys who buy corvettes because they think they are cool at the coffee and donuts. They never experience the performance or follow the race team. They really in my book don’t get it. They might as well drive a 4 cylinder boxer or suv. Then they put chrome shit in the engine compartment or a chrome this and that  Just nasty stuff that belongs in a JC Whitney magazine. They will be wiping down their car adding lots of spider marks without a care in the world. At least there are none of those guys on here at least not on this thread .

1 hour ago, mach 1 1970 said:

One thing that really I can’t understand is why anyone would buy a base C8 or C7  The Z51 package is only $5000 which you get the adjustable exhaust a $900 stand alone option. But more important you get the trans cooler. We are talking about a DCT trans that must run at a specific temp range. Overheat one and its a disaster in the making. You get an electronic rear end which assist in traction control in the corners. Plus a cooler . Bigger breaks and performance gearing in the trans. So if you push the car hard your components will not overheat . Therefore longevity will improve.  But I guess there are the guys who buy corvettes because they think they are cool at the coffee and donuts. They never experience the performance or follow the race team. They really in my book don’t get it. They might as well drive a 4 cylinder boxer or suv. Then they put chrome shit in the engine compartment or a chrome this and that  Just nasty stuff that belongs in a JC Whitney magazine. They will be wiping down their car adding lots of spider marks without a care in the world. At least there are none of those guys on here at least not on this thread .

Same here why not the extra $5k for what you get it's worth every penny.

On 12/16/2019 at 10:57 AM, mach 1 1970 said:

I’m a little of tired with the statement the 350 is a track car not a drag car. The 2020 is all of a sudden a track car and a drag car. So I say the Shelby GT 350 is a track car with a slow drag time. There fixed it. On the street for some reason my 2018 350 feels a lot better on the street then the 16 track pack 350 I had 3 years ago. Don’t know why. 

Its like buying a raptor as a road course car. The GT350's heritage has always been a road course car as you well know. The GT500 was the street brawler and drag racer. Now, the GT500 does both. The coyote is better suited for drag racing, The 18 350 shouldn't feel a lot better then your 16 since they are the same, My 19 R does feel beter but there are GT500 components on the 19/20 but, I cant say they are the reason for a different feel

7 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

:thumbsup:+1  Well said bud!  Yes, the Z51 package for the money is a real no-brainer with all the extras it includes!   Especially like you said in the brake dept. and cooling too, because excessive heat whether it’s in the brakes and rotors or the tranny,or engine, excessive heat is your cars enemy!    

6 hours ago, svtkeith said:

:thumbsup:+1

7 hours ago, svtkeith said:

This is a new vid I think.

Thanks Keefer!  Randy is the main man, and he does it again!   There both two great cars for sure!

7 hours ago, svtkeith said: