mach 1 1970

OFF TOPIC THREAD......... (was New C8 maybe it’s getting close.)

5 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Yeah but I’m keeping the vette now. 

Repo????  :shrug:     :hysterical2:

Well got some reading to do now, got this great book from Bonnie for Christmas. New shoes also...:hysterical:Chilling last night after a fun day with family Christmas celebrations. Hope you all had a great time and got some cool stuff .family is what it’s all about .....:happyfeet:

68BC1A02-D56D-4495-A67E-469E16BAD058.jpeg

D55F8183-2FBD-4E7F-AAF7-455AD8EDC6E7.jpeg

Hey man, very cool book for sure!   Bonnie knows what her man likes!   Yes, family is what it’s all about, that’s for sure!        :thumbsup:

Sounds of the C8R recently testing. Now just wait until the roar before the 24 on Jan 5th. Oh yeah boys and girls. 

https://youtu.be/n9aH67IUITw

:thumbsup:+1     Awesome sound!

Edited by Mongoose
add text

4 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Exactly!!...Family makes Christmas...……..:thumbsup: There's those damn canoes again!!……...:hysterical:

Hey Keefer,  great catch!  I didn’t even notice those big canoes.......    :hysterical2:

• Haha 1

Hey guys, Santa was out and about in our area, but because of not that much snow left he decided on a different mode of transportation today to do his delivery.  Look what he left for me at my house!   It’s at least a 1955 or 56 and it’s almost in mint condition too!   Something that I always wanted as a young boy, and now it’s mine!  Never to late to be a “Big Kid”!!   :hysterical2:

P.S. Santa had a little help from my beautiful wife too!   :thumbsup:       Hope you enjoy the pics!    :)                  Later guys!        Mongoose      :peelout:

IMG_2765__1577383549_99906.jpg

IMG_2758__1577383612_85197.jpg

IMG_2755__1577383678_61427.jpg

44 minutes ago, Mongoose said:

Thanks bud!  Yes, had a great Christmas!   Jan and Dean’s song, (Dead Man’s Curve), one of the best car songs ever!  If I remember right wasn’t Dean driving a mid- year Corvette when he crashed it and got hurt pretty bad?   The new C8 is like Santa Claus, it’s pictured every where!    :hysterical2:        

The vette had 6 tail lights. What’s up with that ?  Cool song for sure . 

The song was written in 1964. In 1966 Jan berry crashed his vette into the back of a produce truck. 

On April 12, 1966, Berry received severe head injuries in an automobile accident on Whittier Drive, just a short distance from Dead Man's Curve in Beverly Hills, California, two years after the song had become a hit. He was on his way to a business meeting when he crashed his Corvette into a parked truck on Whittier Drive, near the intersection of Sunset Boulevard, in Beverly Hills. He also had separated from his girlfriend of seven years, singer-artist Jill Gibson, later a member of the Mamas & the Papas for a short time, who also had co-written several songs with him. Berry was in a coma for more than two months; he awoke on the morning of June 16, 1966.

Berry recovered from brain damage and partial paralysis. He had limited use of his right arm, and had to learn to write with his left hand and had to learn to walk again.

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Thanks 1

Hey Mongoose cool Tonka fire truck there buddy. Looks like it’s in mint shape. Glad you got one from Mrs  Santa. Now keep the felines off of it especially Ace 

0521689F-6C04-4D5A-89CF-365EF5ADBB30.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mongoose said:

Hey guys, Santa was out and about in our area, but because of not that much snow left he decided on a different mode of transportation today to do his delivery.  Look what he left for me at my house!   It’s at least a 1955 or 56 and it’s almost in mint condition too!   Something that I always wanted as a young boy, and now it’s mine!  Never to late to be a “Big Kid”!!   :hysterical2:

P.S. Santa had a little help from my beautiful wife too!   :thumbsup:       Hope you enjoy the pics!    :)                  Later guys!        Mongoose      :peelout:

IMG_2765__1577383549_99906.jpg

IMG_2758__1577383612_85197.jpg

IMG_2755__1577383678_61427.jpg

That's awesome Goose!!…..:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Here you go Keith you were asking about the yellow # 3 C8R  car #4 is silver  

546933F7-D935-4D5B-8D8D-DB8C04E9BCB0.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Nice!!…:thumbsup: …...just wonder how much of that car will be part of the Z06...…….:peelout:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, svtkeith said:

Nice!!…:thumbsup: …...just wonder how much of that car will be part of the Z06...…….:peelout:

Maybe all these aero pieces  

000B3861-E755-4C40-8A7D-332BBDE3F9DA.jpeg

0FCD1D8F-CDA5-4D4C-96AF-0088FB47A900.jpeg

B8CB857B-2BB4-4414-B957-6B4EEEF58543.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970
  • Like 1

Yup I'm thinking you're right bud...just curious about the engine..VERY curious!!…….:peelout:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

The vette had 6 tail lights. What’s up with that ?  Cool song for sure . 

The song was written in 1964. In 1966 Jan berry crashed his vette into the back of a produce truck. 

On April 12, 1966, Berry received severe head injuries in an automobile accident on Whittier Drive, just a short distance from Dead Man's Curve in Beverly Hills, California, two years after the song had become a hit. He was on his way to a business meeting when he crashed his Corvette into a parked truck on Whittier Drive, near the intersection of Sunset Boulevard, in Beverly Hills. He also had separated from his girlfriend of seven years, singer-artist Jill Gibson, later a member of the Mamas & the Papas for a short time, who also had co-written several songs with him. Berry was in a coma for more than two months; he awoke on the morning of June 16, 1966.

Berry recovered from brain damage and partial paralysis. He had limited use of his right arm, and had to learn to write with his left hand and had to learn to walk again.

Hey Slo Lane, thanks for the refresher on Jan Berry’s background story it’s really kind of sad, he was never the same after that bad accident!     As far as a Vette having 6 tail lights that was actually considered to be pretty cool to do to the mid-years back in the day.   I remember one friend of mine who owned a White 1963 Corvette Split-window Fuelie who customized his own Corvette with 6 tail lights.  Boy, was that cool seeing those 6  taillights  glowing  from the back of that Split-window right around dusk!   You have to remember back in the day the early Corvettes didn’t command  a very big resale value, so altering and customizing them for your own personal  pleasure was fairly popular.  There was even guys that went and cut out the middle section between the two small back windows in the 63 Corvette Split window coupe before they came very popular and desirable to have!                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

11 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Hey Mongoose cool Tonka fire truck there buddy. Looks like it’s in mint shape. Glad you got one from Mrs  Santa. Now keep the felines off of it especially Ace 

0521689F-6C04-4D5A-89CF-365EF5ADBB30.jpeg

Hey, thanks bud!  I don’t think Ace will like sitting on that one, he’d probably end up with one of the ladders up his “Dairy-Air”, if you know what I mean!!!   :hysterical2:

Edited by Mongoose
add text.

11 hours ago, svtkeith said:

That's awesome Goose!!…..:thumbsup:

Thanks man!  :thumbsup:   Something that I always really liked and wanted when I was a young boy.  Now I’m older and wiser, but still love collecting cool “Big Boy” toys!  What’s a guy to say??? :shrug:   :hysterical2:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

:thumbsup: Looking very cool and sinister at the same time!

9 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Hey guys, it will probably be the wait and see game, just saying....

8 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Hey Keefer, all those little aero pieces are very cool, but for what??    :shrug:   According to you, your going to do, mainly straight line high speed driving, maybe drag racing and also some fast line starts because you don’t track it!  That’s fine too, so why pay a lot of extra money for stuff that would be better used for and appreciated out on the track!  I’m just saying this to help you spend less of your hard-earned money on aero stuff that’s really cool for the right purpose of it, and if you don’t need it, why spend it!!  :shrug:   Sorry bud, again it’s just my opinion and trying to help you out.....   :peelout:

3 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Yup I'm thinking you're right bud...just curious about the engine..VERY curious!!…….:peelout:

Hey, all you guys know that engine is going to be totally “Awesome”, that’s already understood by the C8 crowd, and anything less would be a big let-down.  The Chevy Boys aren’t going to let that happen and they’re on a huge roll for sure and letting down all their future buyers isn’t on their agenda, just saying!     :thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey, all you guys know that engine is going to be totally “Awesome”, that’s already understood by the C8 crowd, and anything less would be a big let-down.  The Chevy Boys aren’t going to let that happen and they’re on a huge roll for sure and letting down all their future buyers isn’t on their agenda, just saying!     :thumbsup:

Mary would say the Chevy guys and gals .....:hysterical2:  won’t let that happen. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Keefer, all those little aero pieces are very cool, but for what??    :shrug:   According to you, your going to do, mainly straight line high speed driving, maybe drag racing and also some fast line starts because you don’t track it!  That’s fine too, so why pay a lot of extra money for stuff that would be better used for and appreciated out on the track!  I’m just saying this to help you spend less of your hard-earned money on aero stuff that’s really cool for the right purpose of it, and if you don’t need it, why spend it!!  :shrug:   Sorry bud, again it’s just my opinion and trying to help you out.....   :peelout:

Yup no road course racing or drag racing Goose...just love POWER!!!....MONSTER POWER!!!...……….:peelout:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mongoose said:

:shrug:

Edited by mach 1 1970

Mary would say the Chevy guys and gals .....:hysterical2:  won’t let that happen. 

3 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

:thumbsup: Don’t worry bud, Mary has your back!    :drool:

5 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Yup no road course racing or drag racing Goose...just love POWER!!!....MONSTER POWER!!!...……….:peelout:

:thumbsup: Hey Keefer, Monster Power can be cool too if it used wisely and in capable hands that appreciate the power that the car puts down and doesn’t abuse it.    I’m sure your one guy who totally understands this by now after owning some very awesome powerful machines in the past and present!       :peelout:

3 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

???????     :shrug:

1 hour ago, Mongoose said:

:thumbsup: Hey Keefer, Monster Power can be cool too if it used wisely and in capable hands that appreciate the power that the car puts down and doesn’t abuse it.    I’m sure your one guy who totally understands this by now after owning some very awesome powerful machines in the past and present!       :peelout:

Yup never been in the soup yet and plan on staying out of it as long a I can Goose!!….agreed you got to respect the power or it'll bite ya...:rip:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Yup never been in the soup yet and plan on staying out of it as long a I can Goose!!….agreed you got to respect the power or it'll bite ya...:rip:

Yes sir, It’s one nasty bite!   :drop:

Hey Guys, just received two more car mags with a lot of very interesting articles in them. Automobile and Motortrend, feb. 2020 are both interesting reads on some cool articles. One article in Automobile mag. caught my eye, it was titled: The Missing Manual by Arthur St. Antoine.  I’m just using some of the phases from his very cool article on the getting away from manual trannys.  The manual verses-automatic debate remains as heated as ever among driving aficionados.  For the purists, there is no transmission but a manual. Shifting with anything else -a slush box, a dual-clutch automatic, a CVT-is “cheating”.   Even our resident pro hot shoe, Andy Pilgrim has said when he using the Porsche PDK, which is one of the very best, he lets it do all the shifting because it’s precise and super fast to set track times. When he said that, I could still hear all the purists shouting from here: “Cheater!”   He says I get thou, because I’ve been driving manuals for over 40 years practicing my heal and toe work, quickly catching first gear on steep inclines before my car rolls backward. Shifting synchro-free crash boxes up and down in single seat race cars, and adoring the (man-machine) collaboration that only a stick shift can provide. Learning manual gear-changery truly is like riding a bicycle. Even after a year has passed from using a manual and my left foot sitting idle against the dead pedal I slipped into the Miata RF and took off with zero rust.  I savored every minute of that glorious afternoon zipping through the mountains “the old way.”  Let’s all admit that it’s not performance that makes manuals so enduring because these modern cars that are in Corsa (race) mode with those seven speed dual clutch F1 trannys in the Ferrari 488 Pista can execute a gear change in 30 milliseconds.  He says as he sees it, the reason we crazed driving enthusiasts still love the manuals is a blend of warm and fuzzy nostalgia, the satisfaction that still comes from mastering a time- honored skill, and a stubborn resistance to “those damn “Space Odyssey” computers doing (everything) for me, dammit!”  There are tons of parallels. Examples could be anything from flying by the seat of yours pants or using the latest equipment or both. Same thing goes for planing out a scuba dive using a plastic chart or depth gauge or using the latest dive computer to go deeper or time to head up.  He says he always calculating and has a better sense of “I know what’s what”.   He states manual shifters are like that. You’re simply pulling a paddle and letting the transmission doing all the hard work. The gear box never does a thing until you command it to do so; you’re 100% in charge. You’re more attuned to the tachometer, your thinking way ahead, and well before every turn you’re readying both feet to perform that remarkable dance of braking, blipping, and clutching all at the same time. He says answer me this: Is there a more soul-nourishing driving act than kicking the throttle just the right amount as you slip the gearstick down and feel the lower gear engage at the perfect rpm, not the slightest shudder from the powertrain, the exhaust note a beauteous “zing”!

Perhaps that explains why, despite the move away from manuals, purists can still find about 40 models available with a stick. He than says; after all, computers might be quicker, but “Sorry, HAL.  That perfect manual downshift?  That was all me.”    :thumbsup:

To me, and the rest of all you guys and gals who miss the manuals and all the fun and thrills they provided in controlling your cool machines this article was excellent, and I couldn’t of said it any better myself!!!      Well said, Mr. Antoine.  :salute:        P.S.  I’m still hoping for a manual tranny in both the C8 and also the 2020 GT 500.      Later guys!     Mongoose     :peelout:

5 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Guys, just received two more car mags with a lot of very interesting articles in them. Automobile and Motortrend, feb. 2020 are both interesting reads on some cool articles. One article in Automobile mag. caught my eye, it was titled: The Missing Manual by Arthur St. Antoine.  I’m just using some of the phases from his very cool article on the getting away from manual trannys.  The manual verses-automatic debate remains as heated as ever among driving aficionados.  For the purists, there is no transmission but a manual. Shifting with anything else -a slush box, a dual-clutch automatic, a CVT-is “cheating”.   Even our resident pro hot shoe, Andy Pilgrim has said when he using the Porsche PDK, which is one of the very best, he lets it do all the shifting because it’s precise and super fast to set track times. When he said that, I could still hear all the purists shouting from here: “Cheater!”   He says I get thou, because I’ve been driving manuals for over 40 years practicing my heal and toe work, quickly catching first gear on steep inclines before my car rolls backward. Shifting synchro-free crash boxes up and down in single seat race cars, and adoring the (man-machine) collaboration that only a stick shift can provide. Learning manual gear-changery truly is like riding a bicycle. Even after a year has passed from using a manual and my left foot sitting idle against the dead pedal I slipped into the Miata RF and took off with zero rust.  I savored every minute of that glorious afternoon zipping through the mountains “the old way.”  Let’s all admit that it’s not performance that makes manuals so enduring because these modern cars that are in Corsa (race) mode with those seven speed dual clutch F1 trannys in the Ferrari 488 Pista can execute a gear change in 30 milliseconds.  He says as he sees it, the reason we crazed driving enthusiasts still love the manuals is a blend of warm and fuzzy nostalgia, the satisfaction that still comes from mastering a time- honored skill, and a stubborn resistance to “those damn “Space Odyssey” computers doing (everything) for me, dammit!”  There are tons of parallels. Examples could be anything from flying by the seat of yours pants or using the latest equipment or both. Same thing goes for planing out a scuba dive using a plastic chart or depth gauge or using the latest dive computer to go deeper or time to head up.  He says he always calculating and has a better sense of “I know what’s what”.   He states manual shifters are like that. You’re simply pulling a paddle and letting the transmission doing all the hard work. The gear box never does a thing until you command it to do so; you’re 100% in charge. You’re more attuned to the tachometer, your thinking way ahead, and well before every turn you’re readying both feet to perform that remarkable dance of braking, blipping, and clutching all at the same time. He says answer me this: Is there a more soul-nourishing driving act than kicking the throttle just the right amount as you slip the gearstick down and feel the lower gear engage at the perfect rpm, not the slightest shudder from the powertrain, the exhaust note a beauteous “zing”!

Perhaps that explains why, despite the move away from manuals, purists can still find about 40 models available with a stick. He than says; after all, computers might be quicker, but “Sorry, HAL.  That perfect manual downshift?  That was all me.”    :thumbsup:

To me, and the rest of all you guys and gals who miss the manuals and all the fun and thrills they provided in controlling your cool machines this article was excellent, and I couldn’t of said it any better myself!!!      Well said, Mr. Antoine.  :salute:        P.S.  I’m still hoping for a manual tranny in both the C8 and also the 2020 GT 500.      Later guys!     Mongoose     :peelout:

Great article Goose thanks for sharing...:thumbsup: ….I agree with both you and Mr St.Antoine…..JMO also but a manual makes me feel; more connected

with the car for sure....and this excuse that the manual can't take that kind of power like some posted is BS...the 800hp Super Snakes are manuals

as is the many 1000hp plus older Super Snakes running around with no issues....:peelout:

• Thanks 1