Jump to content
08SGT/SC

Painted Stripes Recommendation

Recommended Posts

Looking for a shop recommendation to get over the top stripes painted. I'm located in Connecticut but would be willing to travel anywhere in New England to find a good shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try contacting Tasca Automotive Group in Rhode Island. They have a long history with Shelby and Shelby Automobiles. If they can't help you directly, they should be able to recommend a top autobody/paint shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Try contacting Tasca Automotive Group in Rhode Island. They have a long history with Shelby and Shelby Automobiles. If they can't help you directly, they should be able to recommend a top autobody/paint shop.

I had my supercharger installed there and additional upgrades done a couple years later. I have spoke with Dennis recently and Tasca is no longer painting stripes and they didn't offer any recommendations for any paint shops. They were my first place to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look for a place that specializes in high end cars like Jag and BMW. They will have the premium body and paint guys.  Want a better job look for the place that the Ferrari and McLaren dealers send their cars.    Good stripes applied over existing paint is a demanding job.  Or send it to the place where JeffJ (from Colorado) sent his. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am subscribing to this, I’ve wanted to paint mine, but I’m hesitant because I don’t want a butcher job.

 

Im just over the border in Western MA like you I would travel to get it done right.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm following too! I'm anxious to replace my stripes which are looking crappy after 10 years... Love the car, which I've owned since it was new, but I'm always embarrassed to show it with the lousy stripes.

I was considering putting on new vinyl, but if we can find a good paint shop in New England, I am in!

I'm located in northern CT, so lets see what the 3 of us can find in New England. Maybe we can negotiate a group buy rate with a good shop that can do a high quality job!

-yellow pony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, yellow pony said:

I'm following too! I'm anxious to replace my stripes which are looking crappy after 10 years... Love the car, which I've owned since it was new, but I'm always embarrassed to show it with the lousy stripes.

I was considering putting on new vinyl, but if we can find a good paint shop in New England, I am in!

I'm located in northern CT, so lets see what the 3 of us can find in New England. Maybe we can negotiate a group buy rate with a good shop that can do a high quality job!

-yellow pony

I would be in for a group buy. When were you planning on getting the stripes done? I was planning for early next spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 11:40 AM, 08SGT/SC said:

I would be in for a group buy. When were you planning on getting the stripes done? I was planning for early next spring.

Count me in if you guys go down this road, next spring or sooner works for me.

 

Edited by carnut12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds good guys! I'm flexible when to get them done. Its more important to find a good shop even if it has some work backlog. This fall or next spring is fine for me.

In the meantime, keep in touch if you come across any good shops. I have one near me in CT that seems pretty good, but I need to stop by to talk with them to see if they would be interested and get an estimate of cost... I suspect that the process of removing the old stripes and carefully removing all the hood scoop rivets may add some labor costs...

-yellow pony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The places I’ve spoken with will not give me a quote to remove the stripes. Only offer their hourly rate and say it could be 16hrs it could be 40hrs and wouldn’t know until it’s finished.

I had a local detailer, who does good work, quote me $500 to remove the stripes, which honestly sounded too good and made me skeptical as fear damage to the paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had mine done at Otis Ford body shop in Quogue, Long Island, NY. Brian and the crew there did an excellent job. It does take some time but it's worth it. They removed the tape stripes, installed the updated hood scoop which I bought from Shelby and had to be drilled and riveted, and matched the paint perfectly. It's beautiful. Their number is 631 653 4000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, donc said:

I had mine done at Otis Ford body shop in Quogue, Long Island, NY. Brian and the crew there did an excellent job. It does take some time but it's worth it. They removed the tape stripes, installed the updated hood scoop which I bought from Shelby and had to be drilled and riveted, and matched the paint perfectly. It's beautiful. Their number is 631 653 4000.

Just curious how much did they charge you?

 

Thank you!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, donc said:

I forget exactly but it was in the $1800 range.

1800 sounds like a good deal, Tasca wanted 1200 just for vinyl stripes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I brought my SGT in to my local shop here in Northern CT. Good shop that does mostly collision work, but also does a lot of high end "special" projects.

Long story short, he put together a very detailed quote, but I fell out of my chair when I saw the price- $7,500! :banghead:

Needless to say that was a non-starter. Most of the cost was tied up in labor, but it was so far out of range that it wasn't worth negotiating or fine tuning the quote... So I'm open to other ideas! $1,800 on Long Island sounds much better!

-yellow pony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yellow pony said:

So, I brought my SGT in to my local shop here in Northern CT. Good shop that does mostly collision work, but also does a lot of high end "special" projects.

Long story short, he put together a very detailed quote, but I fell out of my chair when I saw the price- $7,500! :banghead:

Needless to say that was a non-starter. Most of the cost was tied up in labor, but it was so far out of range that it wasn't worth negotiating or fine tuning the quote... So I'm open to other ideas! $1,800 on Long Island sounds much better!

-yellow pony

That is the highest I’ve seen, $1800 almost seems too cheap, but $7500 is crazy.  I was thinking it would be $3000 or so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be aware removing the stripes can be a royal PITA! Lots of stories, good, bad, techniques tried, failed, success, in the stripe thread. Can’t emphasize enough the value for the time spent reviewing that thread. You will see it can take hours and hours to remove, the thin early 07 stripes are the worse and break into little pieces.  Add to this the potential liability scratching the paint and you get these high prices unfortunately. Many just removed as much as they could themselves and had shop finish the job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm planning on meeting up with Don to check out his stripes and going to Otis Ford in Long Island in March to get a quote. Is anyone else interested in bring their cars in for a quote on painted stripes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please keep me updated I will certainly jump in if all checks out!!!  Thank you for taking the lead on this!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be cautious looking for good "deals" with the stripe removal.  My car's paint was damaged from stripe removal, necessitating it being sold to me at a discount.  I had the entire car repainted - no regrets.  It's way better now than it ever was new.

P6104712web.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 12:29 PM, 08SGT/SC said:

I'm planning on meeting up with Don to check out his stripes and going to Otis Ford in Long Island in March to get a quote. Is anyone else interested in bring their cars in for a quote on painted stripes?

I'm definitely interested if everything checks out! Keep me posted...

-yellow pony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone get their stripes redone? In Vinyl or paint?

What was the final cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started looking for quotes again. So far I only have a ballpark quote from one place in CT for 4500-5500 dollars. Is anyone else looking to get their car done this spring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up getting updated stripes from Tasca while my car was getting other work done, I got stickers again.  Didn’t think I would, but mine were really dull and I just did it.

 

If I had a shop I trusted for a reasonable price I would’ve painted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had mine done tears ago, but let me tell you, some areas had to get redone....The prices are usually high, depending if you want them done right....Bumpers have to come off, the windshield and rear window should come out and don't forget to pull the door molding strips....taping off is ok, but can prove disastrous around windshield and rear glass....exact measurements need to be taken before removed, and when done, the bumpers, hood, roof, and trunk lid will all need to be cleared, I also had the side decals cleared at this time...I had a friend do mine, but had to redo around the glass to make it right....If I had to pay a shop, I would expect $1800-2k....I suggest ask questions and be involved to make sure it's done right the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just use decals like they were originally.  Seems like it is much more affordable and how the cars were done originally.  I would say that most SGT’s are garage queens at this point do the stripes should last a long long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 9:04 PM, noac said:

Just use decals like they were originally.  Seems like it is much more affordable and how the cars were done originally.  I would say that most SGT’s are garage queens at this point do the stripes should last a long long time.

I  would redo them with vinyl if I had any confidence that they wouldn't fade.  I am the original owner, and my stripes started showing UV damage after just a year. The vinyl stripes cost 1200 installed, I rather pay 2-3k to not have to deal with the issue again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I updated this but it must have been another thread.

I think the vinyl stripes are going to be to our cars like shoe laces are to a nice pair of dress shoes. Eventually you'll need to get new ones if you want to keep them in original condition and actually use them.

My search led me to Shelby in Vegas, who are the only ones I would trust to restripe a Shelby GT, since I want to have someone experienced with pulling off the hood scoop. You'd think there should be aftermarket places that can do this, but, like trying to find shoe laces that are exactly like the original ones... impossible in the aftermarket.

I sold my Shelby GT last Dec. and every time I need to go quickly in my new Hyundai I miss it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...