Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Staff

      ABOUT TEAM SHELBY   01/01/2007

          Member Benefits:   First, there's the Team Shelby swag. No other club packs your membership kit with more than Team Shelby! Whether you are a renewing member or new to the “family” of Shelby enthusiast worldwide, our goal is to help you enjoy a high-octane lifestyle!   From a Unique Membership Card, Shelby Annual Magazine, Team Shelby Hat, Collector Coin, Team Shelby T-Shirt, Windshield Cling, Team Shelby License Plate Frame, Lapel Pin and Magnet, the contents of your Team Shelby Membership Kit more than pay for your membership alone!   In addition, your membership includes:   Exclusive Access to Team Shelby Member Forums.   10% discounts at Carroll Shelby's Stores in Las Vegas and Los Angeles.   Driving Experiences.   Invitations to Exclusive Team Shelby Member Events.   Insider information from Shelby American.   Affiliate Partner Discounts.   Updated February 16, 2017. Team Shelby Club 2018 Team Shelby Membership Kit Please note that membership contents are subject to change.   Team Shelby was designed and engineered by real enthusiasts inside and out of Shelby.   Team Shelby was originally formed in 2008 by Carroll Shelby. He wanted to create a club for people to truly enjoy their cars. He knew the world had changed, and he wanted his companies to meet the needs of the new generation of Shelby owners. His vision was to knit together those people with the owners of early Shelby's and give everyone fun new ways to experience their high performance vehicles.   Mr. Shelby imagined a place where owners could talk about their latest conquests at the track, swap stories, share photos and learn new ways to hot rod their cars! He wanted to link all of the enthusiasts into one "dream garage"... thus, Team Shelby was born!   Team Shelby has many free, open access forums, news sections and member only areas dedicated to the community.   In addition, Team Shelby has a full series of events for 2018, which include VIP Experiences, track days, National & Regional gatherings, cruises, car shows and more! Ownership of a Shelby is not required to be a member. The club is dedicated to serving all Shelby enthusiasts past and present including those that own cars built in the 1960's and Shelby Dodges too! Carroll Shelby (Team Shelby Member #001) said: "We built Team Shelby for anyone who is passionate about Shelby cars! We’ll have a blast and we'll do it the Shelby way!   Yearly Membership Rates   U.S. $49.99 | Canada & Mexico $59.99 | E.U., others $65.99   Join the Team Shelby Club   click here to choose a Team Shelby Club subscription package.   Membership Kit Arrival   Your Team Shelby Club membership kit and I.D.card will generally arrive within 6-8 weeks.   Need Help?   Email Brianna:  e-mail her here.
    • ForumAdmin

      Having Problems Logging In To Team Shelby ?   02/12/2018

      If you are having a problem logging in to Team Shelby since the software change made last December/January please send an email to bfawn@shelby.com  Please include your real name and Team Shelby user id in this email so that we may look into what the problem might be. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
GaryF

GT-H Hood

Recommended Posts

Recently was away from home with my always garaged and never driven in rain GT-H and had to leave it outside during a heavy all night rain.  :( Wasn't too concerned about it, but when I went to open the deep draw style hood to finish drying things off there, I heard a rush of water from inside the hood cavity on one side moving to the back of the hood.  When I closed the hood, it came back forward.  I was like  "what"???  So, the water is 'stuck' inside the hood cavity.  I couldn't figure out how it could have gotten in there, except for through the holes for the hood pins. I suppose that's possible, as the rain was really coming down all night and running down the hood in that direction. Or, it could have seeped in from the draw area of the hood where the faux vent is attached with the chrome rivets and where water collects.

So, has anyone else experienced this dilemma, and if so, how did you drain the water?  If I'm the only one - how do you suggest I get the water out?  The only thing I can think of is to drill a small hole on the underside of this fiberglass hood where the gap is between the bottom side and top (very carefully) and let it slowly drain.  I can't imagine letting it remain in there would be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not have a deep draw hood but I have heard of this before and I believe they drilled small holes to let it vent like you suggested. Maybe doing some searches could produce good results. I know I read it on this site so the info is out there somewhere. Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

I think ya gotta drill a hole to get that water out.  This is my recommendation:

:lol: QSS

 

drill bit.jpg

The ol' go big or go home recommendation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

I think ya gotta drill a hole to get that water out.  This is my recommendation:

:lol: QSS

 

drill bit.jpg

Helps get the water and the heat out! :hysterical: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Doug_GT350 said:

Helps get the water and the heat out! :hysterical: 

I was only thinking about the water, I didn't even think about the heat.  Great point!

QSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deep draw hood on my GTS collects water when I wash it.  When I raise the hood the water drains through small holes at the back underside.   Maybe your holes are blocked or never got drilled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original HERTZ hood is different than the Deep Draw used on Terlingua.  The deep draw has functional vents and extractor(vent) at the back of the hood.  As for the water, you can remove the hood blanket and drill one or two tiny holes.  Drain the water and reinstall the hood blanket.  If you do that, look for signatures.  Some of the 06 cars had employees sign the car and that was one of locations found by owners along with underside of the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, H0050 said:

The original HERTZ hood is different than the Deep Draw used on Terlingua.  The deep draw has functional vents and extractor(vent) at the back of the hood.  As for the water, you can remove the hood blanket and drill one or two tiny holes.  Drain the water and reinstall the hood blanket.  If you do that, look for signatures.  Some of the 06 cars had employees sign the car and that was one of locations found by owners along with underside of the car.

Harald - so where should I drill the holes after removing the blanket?  The water sounds like it's running down the driver's side of the hood to the back when I open it, but difficult to tell which cavity it's in.  I tried removing the lower hood bracket bolt to see if it would come out there, but no luck.  Of course, I need to be careful to only drill into an area of the hood where there is a big enough void and not through a section that is thinner. I'd hate to come through on the top side.  I suppose I could drill it in the front cavity (where I think the water got in through the hood pin holes), which is likely where it's sitting and would drain out (hopefully) when the hood is closed.  I was thinking about drilling a hole in the circle area where the hood touches the rubber bumpers when closed.

Edited by GaryF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GaryF said:

passenger Harald - so where should I drill the holes after removing the blanket?  The water sounds like it's running down the driver's side of the hood to the back when I open it, but difficult to tell which cavity it's in.  I tried removing the lower hood bracket bolt to see if it would come out there, but no luck.  Of course, I need to be careful to only drill into an area of the hood where there is a big enough void and not through a section that is thinner. I'd hate to come through on the top side.  I suppose I could drill it in the front cavity (where I think the water got in through the hood pin holes), which is likely where it's sitting and would drain out (hopefully) when the hood is closed.  I was thinking about drilling a hole in the circle area where the hood touches the rubber bumpers when closed.

Another thought:  If you think it came through the hood pin holes, I would get some help and just remove the hood and stand it up so it could drain through the hood pin holes.  Mark the hood so you know how it is aligned.  It may even have a few spacers / shims.  In addition disconnect the washer line near the passenger side cowl.  You can manipulate the hood to drain.    You could even remove the 4 screws and remove the scratch plate(s).  Avoid drilling any holes.      

Edited by H0050

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, H0050 said:

Another thought:  If you think it came through the hood pin holes, I would get some help and just remove the hood and stand it up so it could drain through the hood pin holes.  Mark the hood so you know how it is aligned.  It may even have a few spacers / shims.  In addition disconnect the washer line near the passenger side cowl.  You can manipulate the hood to drain.    You could even remove the 4 screws and remove the scratch plate(s).  Avoid drilling any holes.      

best idea yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, andrewnagle1964 said:

best idea yet

Well, the hood pin holes are the only place that are open (I didn't have the pins in during the heavy rain, which probably would have helped to prevent rain from running in).  I don't know of any other place where water could have gotten in, unless it seeped in through the holes where the rivets are that attached the faux rubber deep draw vent in the recessed area.  The funny thing is the water only seems to be trapped on the driver's side.  Looks like I'll be removing the hood.  :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow-up.... So, instead of removing the hood, I decided to take her for a ride on a nice, relatively warm/sunny day.  When I returned, I left her in the driveway to get some sun in hopes of the water evaporating some (at least I wanted to see if that would work if the hood was warmed up).  Of course, the engine was hot too.  Later on when I opened the hood, the sloshing sound I heard previously from the water running to the back of the hood was non-existent.  So, it seems warming up the hood helped to evaporate the small amount of water that was trapped in it.  Works for me!  :headspin: Appreciate all of the other suggestions!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it when a car heals itself!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad it worked out.  Must not have really been that much water. Just enough to be annoying.  Now keep her inside where she deserves to be.

Edited by H0050

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be nice to NEED an excuse to get out drive it! Enjoy... Like Harald said, I'm glad it worked out for ya!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×