Jump to content
justind

Wanted: 1967 GT500 Project

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I have been looking for a 1967 GT500 project for some time now with no results and was wondering if anyone had or had seen one for sale. Ideally I am looking for one as barebones as possible as I am trying to do a complete rebuild including the engine but all leads are appreciated. If you have any information, feel free to contact me on this thread or at jsdecris@gmail.com. Thanks! 

Edited by justind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I saw him on another thread and have been in contact with him, but he said it might be tough to find a project car around him right now. I definitely appreciate the advice though and contacts like Stephen Becker are great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Secondo said:

Somebody's been watching too much "Gone in 60 Seconds" lol

I'd blame Chip Foose before giving Nicholas Cage any credit lol but this will not be another Eleanor clone. I've been driving mustangs my whole life and I think it's time I take the man crush to the next level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Op, yes it is a challenge, but if you just google  1967 GT500 Project car you will find some listed. However, you didn't provide any parameters. Are you looking for a $25 k rust bucket with trees growing up through the engine bay and you don't care if the engine isn't with it, or are you looking for a some what finished project that somebody is tired of working on in the $50 to 75k range, are you looking for numbers matching, or are you  looking for something with a lot of work already done and almost finished in the $100 k range where all you have to do is pick your paint color and drop the engine and transmission in?, etc.

 

here is one in South Carolina and its probably quite negotiable. Many people go buy an old Shelby rust bucket and once they get in to the amount of work and dollar sinvolved end up selling them before completion

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/88917

 

here is another site that has several of them in varying condition form only low 4 figures to high five figures.

http://repairablecars-forsale.com/cars_for_sale/1967-Mustang-Shelby-GT500.html

 

good luck in your quest.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mhr1961 said:

Op, yes it is a challenge, but if you just google  1967 GT500 Project car you will find some listed. However, you didn't provide any parameters. Are you looking for a $25 k rust bucket with trees growing up through the engine bay and you don't care if the engine isn't with it, or are you looking for a some what finished project that somebody is tired of working on in the $50 to 75k range, are you looking for numbers matching, or are you  looking for something with a lot of work already done and almost finished in the $100 k range where all you have to do is pick your paint color and drop the engine and transmission in?, etc.

 

here is one in South Carolina and its probably quite negotiable. Many people go buy an old Shelby rust bucket and once they get in to the amount of work and dollar sinvolved end up selling them before completion

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/88917

 

here is another site that has several of them in varying condition form only low 4 figures to high five figures.

http://repairablecars-forsale.com/cars_for_sale/1967-Mustang-Shelby-GT500.html

 

good luck in your quest.

 

 

 

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it! In regards to parameters I kept it very vague, I'm looking for anything with a glimmer of hope and true GT500 heritage, whether that be a complete rust bucket or a non-dynacorn shell. However if the price is right I wouldn't mind something further along in the process of course but not the finished product. I did see the one on cars-online that you shared the link to; I've been religiously watching the site and have reached out to some poster's like desert mustangs etc. The one you sent in the link was firm on the 115k as a completed rebuild because as I have found they are hard to come by in project state and there's more to be made on a completed project. Unfortunately I also looked at repairablecars-forsale as well - turns out there is such a thing as too good to be true. The ads that they post are not the cars that they have in stock and it's more of a scam/advertising site for insurance auctions such as iaai, copart etc. Thank you for the well wishes and if anything comes up please let me know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Secondo said:

Truthfully, you'd be better off and probably would enjoy more a new one direct from Ford or Shelby American or a 'new' 1967 from Revology or others.

https://revologycars.com/car/1967-shelby-gt500/

I would tend to agree with Secondo. If you want an original then keep searching. If you want something that wont take a year or two of your life to restore then look up Revology. They make some nice cars and have modern upgrades so you will have a dependable ride. I looked for years trying to find a 1967/68 to restore and finally said to hell with it. I came to a point in life that I would would rather drive than wrench.... so a just bought a 2008 SGT. If I ever decide I want to pursue a  1967 again.... I will just go for Revology unit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is great that you want to bring a true original 1967 Shelby GT500 back to life, not a modified movie car Mustang (Eleanor never was a Shelby, please) or a clone shell.  Modified into Shelby  Mustang clones can be very nice when done and have greater comfort, power, ride and reliability.  But they are not the original classic.  Anyone taking on the time, effort and expense of restoring an original Shelby factory classic gets my support (figuretively, not financially).  Best of luck with the find and the project.  Be sure to check with the SAAC registrar for 1967 Shelbys to ensure you putting money down on the real thing.  You will need to do a lot of research on the restoration but there is knowledgeable support out there.  Keep us up to date on your efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 12:02 AM, 66GT350PS said:

It is great that you want to bring a true original 1967 Shelby GT500 back to life, not a modified movie car Mustang (Eleanor never was a Shelby, please) or a clone shell.  Modified into Shelby  Mustang clones can be very nice when done and have greater comfort, power, ride and reliability.  But they are not the original classic.  Anyone taking on the time, effort and expense of restoring an original Shelby factory classic gets my support (figuretively, not financially).  Best of luck with the find and the project.  Be sure to check with the SAAC registrar for 1967 Shelbys to ensure you putting money down on the real thing.  You will need to do a lot of research on the restoration but there is knowledgeable support out there.  Keep us up to date on your efforts.

Thanks for the support! I figured if I was going to drop all of the time and money into a restoration it might as well be as close to original as possible. You might be onto something though I'll have to start a go-fund-me haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, justind said:

Thanks for the support! I figured if I was going to drop all of the time and money into a restoration it might as well be as close to original as possible. You might be onto something though I'll have to start a go-fund-me haha

Try the SAAC club they have some for sale.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the problem you are going to have in looking for a “project” is that these days a lot of people who have a total rust bucket up on blocks in a field for the past 30 or 40 years think they are sitting on some kind of gold mine and will not  part with the car for reasonable money........ even if it is just a rusted out and almost hopeless hulk. They think that something with tin worm around all four wheels and rusted out floor boards,  no engine and trans is still worth $50+k just because you they  may be able to make out the outline of a Shelby Snake somewhere on the car. It is  admirable you want to resurrect something but go buy newer one and customize it to your liking and save yourself some headache. I doubt you will regret doing so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Part of the problem you are going to have in looking for a “project” is that these days a lot of people who have a total rust bucket up on blocks in a field for the past 30 or 40 years think they are sitting on some kind of gold mine and will not  part with the car for reasonable money........ even if it is just a rusted out and almost hopeless hulk. They think that something with tin worm around all four wheels and rusted out floor boards,  no engine and trans is still worth $50+k just because you they  may be able to make out the outline of a Shelby Snake somewhere on the car. It is  admirable you want to resurrect something but go buy newer one and customize it to your liking and save yourself some headache. I doubt you will regret doing so.

+1 A good buddy of mine bought a rust bucket 20 years ago not realizing how much work was truly involved and is still working on it. He is now too far into it to stop and is wondering if he will be able to get it done. All that time he could have been enjoying a decent car that he could actually drive. I restored one car, that's enough for me. I won't waste my time doing that again. The car wasn't a complete rust bucket so I was able to perform a rolling (car was kept in service) restoration. I know another guy that restored a few cars but I don't actually see him driving them. To me, he is completely missing the point of the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Secondo said:

+1 A good buddy of mine bought a rust bucket 20 years ago not realizing how much work was truly involved and is still working on it. He is now too far into it to stop and is wondering if he will be able to get it done. All that time he could have been enjoying a decent car that he could actually drive. I restored one car, that's enough for me. I won't waste my time doing that again. The car wasn't a complete rust bucket so I was able to perform a rolling (car was kept in service) restoration. I know another guy that restored a few cars but I don't actually see him driving them. To me, he is completely missing the point of the car.

The 20-year project is one of the key points of collector cars.   If your passion is the work, getting dirty and busted knuckles, then by all means buy a project.  Sell it when you're done and do another.  On the other hand if you love the looks of that 67 Mustang, and your passion is driving it, then pleas just buy one that someone has already invested all their blood sweat and tears in.  The reason is that the first guy that built the car is going to realize pennies on the dollar over real costs.  A well done restoration hardly ever makes money.  My best friend was one of the third - wanted to do the project with his son and then drive it.  Well, his son grew up and moved on and then he died (at a young age) before he could finish it.  He missed out on all the fun of driving it. 

The same applies to kits.   People buy kit cars (notably Cobras) thinking they can save lots of money (most often because they can't afford the car to begin with) and get distracted or discouraged when they find out really how much work and specialized tools it takes, let the kit languish in the garage and then practically give it away.    They should have just bought one finished (if they could afford it all).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent points. About a decade ago I had spent about a year or so of solid effort trying to locate a 1967 GT350 or GT500 " project car" and actually found 2 that were definitely "projects". After evaluating the time and effort and money involved,  I decided that at that point in my life I would rather drive one than wrench on something  so I abandoned that "quest' and bought a loaded 2008 SGT Convertible. I do not regret the decision.

OP, best of luck in your quest, please keep us up to date on what you find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, any updates on your quest for a 1967 GT 500 project?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Op, Any updates on your quest?........................Bueller?.............Bueller?.....................................Bueller?............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mhr1961 said:

Op, Any updates on your quest?........................Bueller?.............Bueller?.....................................Bueller?............

He has not visited the site since November 18th. 

6 posts and gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrewnagle1964 said:

He has not visited the site since November 18th. 

6 posts and gone

I know, just checking in. Would have been nice to see what he may have found. Also this site needs more members, even though it seems to be oriented towards more modern Shelby vehicles , I  still like to see old ones resurrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...