Jump to content
Greatgolf7

How Many NON SAI GT/SC conversions

Recommended Posts

How many have actually converted their GTs to GT/SC through a local dealership or shop? Is that a popular thing to do if you do not leave close to Las Vegas? I know there has to be some that would like to make the conversion through SAI but may not have the resources. 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is really no way of knowing how many Shelby GTs were modded with a supercharger.  The registry may be able to provide some statistical insight of those that were done by the owner (ie, not a full Shelby GT/SC conversion) but I fear it wouldn't have a lot of statistical significance (ie, a huge margin of error) because:  1.  Not all Shelby GT owners know about the registry, and 2. not all owners will know they can report mods after the initial registration. 

To address your other points, the modification done outside of Shelby is not going to be recognized as an official Shelby GT/SC.  The official versions do have significance to some buyers so a SAI conversion would get a premium for some. 

In the end, you should do what makes you happy.  If adding a blower will make you happy and resources don't allow for a Shelby mod, then do it yourself!   Be sure to keep all the takeoff parts so you can put it back to stock since some buyers will prefer an unmodified car.

Drive it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the installation yourself.

I have a 2007SGT. In 2009 I purchased a whipple kit  with intercooler and programmer with a John Lund tune from Lethal performance.

Install should take three week ends. Whipple had a great installation manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 07SGT4843 said:

Do the installation yourself.

I have a 2007SGT. In 2009 I purchased a whipple kit  with intercooler and programmer with a John Lund tune from Lethal performance.

Install should take three week ends. Whipple had a great installation manual.

Read his other topic.  It seems to me that if his finances are limited he may be better off buying a regular Mustang, not a Shelby, and adding the blower himself.  If doing that, then take the cost of the base car + parts (and labor to do it if not self, less any necessary tools not already owned) and price that compared to a 2010 or so GT500.    If power is the goal, there are lots of ways to achieve that goal with the same price.  And I'd lobby to the newer car already built.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my goal is to own a Shelby. I love the GTs. Not sure if 319hp is where I want to be. I wasn’t even thinking of SC until I test drove a 2008 Rousch. Then my eyebrows lifted. Just nice to kick in. I know of one GT that has been converted to a GT/SC with 10k miles for $28k and excellent shape. So it is buy that one or one that has 5600 miles without SC for $23k. Seems like a good value going with the GT/SC.

Edited by Greatgolf7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Greatgolf7 said:

So my goal is to own a Shelby. I love the GTs. Not sure if 319hp is where I want to be. I wasn’t even thinking of SC until I test drove a 2008 Rousch. Then my eyebrows lifted. Just nice to kick in. I know of one GT that has been converted to a GT/SC with 10k miles for $28k and excellent shape. So it is buy that one or one that has 5600 miles without SC for $23k. Seems like a good value going with the GT/SC.

I agree that a Shelby GT/SC for 28K with 10K miles is a good price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

There is really no way of knowing how many Shelby GTs were modded with a supercharger.  The registry may be able to provide some statistical insight of those that were done by the owner (ie, not a full Shelby GT/SC conversion) but I fear it wouldn't have a lot of statistical significance (ie, a huge margin of error) because:  1.  Not all Shelby GT owners know about the registry, and 2. not all owners will know they can report mods after the initial registration. 

To address your other points, the modification done outside of Shelby is not going to be recognized as an official Shelby GT/SC.  The official versions do have significance to some buyers so a SAI conversion would get a premium for some. 

In the end, you should do what makes you happy.  If adding a blower will make you happy and resources don't allow for a Shelby mod, then do it yourself!   Be sure to keep all the takeoff parts so you can put it back to stock since some buyers will prefer an unmodified car.

Drive it!

All the points above are good ones, personally I wanted to keep mine authentic so I had mine done by Tasca who at the time (2009) was a Shelby authorized mod shop. Some people will still say the original SGT's (w/o the SC's) should remain untouched. Remember as it has been stated, in the end it's yours to do as you wish.

Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good points. I like the authenticity of it even though it’s not a future value thing for me. Just nice knowing. Then I think if I get a regular GT that in the end I minght want a little extra grunt and why not purchase right up front.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too struggled with the decision when buying mine over naturally aspirated and a supercharged conversion. I opted to spend more and get one supercharged. Mine was converted brand new by the original owner with a Kenne Bell unit. I have extensive paper work and belief it was done by his local Ford dealer but I would have to check my papers. It is just my opinion that they are wonderful cars are very well balanced but the extra horse power sure wakes it up and makes it a blast to drive. Go for the extra kick, you wont regret it.  Mike G.

IMG_1498.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mike G said:

I too struggled with the decision when buying mine over naturally aspirated and a supercharged conversion. I opted to spend more and get one supercharged. Mine was converted brand new by the original owner with a Kenne Bell unit. I have extensive paper work and belief it was done by his local Ford dealer but I would have to check my papers. It is just my opinion that they are wonderful cars are very well balanced but the extra horse power sure wakes it up and makes it a blast to drive. Go for the extra kick, you wont regret it.  Mike G.

IMG_1498.PNG

congratulations 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I supercharged my SGT myself at home! Went with the Edelbrock EForce.  Straight forward install, a couple of minor hiccups, but the reward was plentiful, smooth, sneaky, POWER! She has a tick over 64k miles on her now - and is also for sale, as I have other projects keeping me busy!  (See SGT classified ads)

Sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...