Sign in to follow this  
Gts 500

Carroll Shelby Chili Kit

Anyone else love and make the Shelby Chili Kit.I have tried the other brands like 5 Alarm but to me this is the best chili kit. If you do how do you like your kit fixed. I prefer to use the ground beef, chopped onions & green peppers, and omit the one can of water and add a can of diced tomatoes. Sometimes will add beans but usually not. Always topped off with shredded cheddar cheese. Really good over spaghetti too. Glad we can still get the kits here in the northeast.

I have used his chili mix for years. There are dozens of recipe variations on line. One good site is the website for his chili kit at:

https://www.carrollshelbyschili.com/recipes?id=216

I usually use ground beef as well but have also used beef tips or ground turkey. It is really hard to make a bad chili with his kit. I usually make variations each time I make it, usually by throwing in a little fresh oregano or rosemary out of the garden or adding different types of peppers in to it. Thai Chili Peppers work good with his kit.  I have also used the chili kit as a dry rub on chicken or ribs when grilling out.

The “Smoke Bean Chilli” on the website is really good. I also buy one to two dozen packs a year to send to friends and family over seas and everybody I know has always liked it and asked for more. Good Stuff!

• Like 1

I’ve used his Chili Mix for probably 20 years as a basis for all kinds of chili. At first only ground beef but added variations such as a couple cans of HOT Rotel, diced jalapeños, black beans...you name it! It’s hard to mess it up. Try it with canned chicken. I first thought no but you’ll be surprised! From time to time, it’s hard to find. Food Lion likes to hide it!

Never saw it anywhere in Colorado and just once here in Vegas, but not for the past 3 or 4 years.  I liked it the time I tried it.

8 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Never saw it anywhere in Colorado and just once here in Vegas, but not for the past 3 or 4 years.  I liked it the time I tried it.

Hi TwoBJShelbys, here is a link for a store locator that will help you find the chili kit within 5 miles of you.Just plug in your zip code.  Enjoy!

https://carrollshelbyschili.com/stores

Edited by mhr1961
spelling

Strange, they list the Walmart store we shop at but I haven't seen it since the first time. I guess I'll have to expand my search.  I have to go later this afternoon anyway so I'll take a look.

I think most stores carry it, at least in the south east, it’s just knowing where to look. Even when I ask an employee I usually just get a blank stare. Carroll who, what? It’s almost never stocked with canned chili, rather with dry mixes like taco seasoning. If you’re looking in WalMart it’s anyone’s guess where they hidden it this week!

55 minutes ago, Pastor Passum said:

It’s almost never stocked with canned chili, rather with dry mixes like taco seasoning. 

Finding it has never been a problem for me but as PP noted its usually on the top shelf right above those seasoning packets from Lawry's, McCormick, etc.

Steven

Glad to hear others still enjoy his chili.

IMG_2766c.JPG

Edited by jguyer
Add photo