Robert M

Is the 2020 GT500 really 4225lbs. base weight?

I have seen some other forum discussions that the official 2020 GT500 weight is 4225lbs., is this true? Challenger weight?

I was thinking that the people who posted those numbers were just kidding?

Robert

On 8/26/2019 at 7:45 AM, Robert M said:

I have seen some other forum discussions that the official 2020 GT500 weight is 4225lbs., is this true? Challenger weight?

I was thinking that the people who posted those numbers were just kidding?

Robert

I would not be shocked if it actually ends up weighing a little bit more than that. 

Yes the weight is true. The hellcat fat-pack is 4440lbs. but I'm hoping that the GT500 can pull off some seriously great numbers for most enthusiasts state of shock to overlook the weight gain. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, SAI-Steven said:

I would not be shocked if it actually ends up weighing a little bit more than that. 

I do not claim to be an insider, but I remember 720 originally "rumored" as the 2020 GT500 horsepower spec. 720HP and 4200+ lbs would have had its way with a Hellcat Challenger at 707HP and I believe that was the original plan............Then everyone was noticing the "slow walk" of the GT500 specs, the car was unveiled but still everything was secret, so what changed???..............The 797 Red Eye Challenger came on the scene, during all of the GT500 hype, after the mule car was built.

Like I said, I am no insider, but I believe the 797HP Red Eye Challenger caught Ford/SVT by surprise............"Pants Down" as it were. Suddenly there is a scramble to retune the 2020 GT500 and also get the new HP certified. Then, finally 760HP was announced as the official number, but the weight? there was no changing that, the parts had been designed, engineered and ready for the production cars.

Just my thought as an outside observer of the 2020 GT500 from earliest rumors to reality now.

There is no magic, it takes power to move weight and 4200+lbs is going backward in the performance car world, but if you add enough power to anything, it can fly.....It would have been much cooler at 3900 or 3950 as was also originally rumored, and then 760HP (or even the original 720).

The 2020 GT500 is still a very cool car, but most car enthusiast have also said that about the Challenger since 2008.........then the porky weight mention quickly follows after the "cool look" comment.

R

Edited by Robert M

2 hours ago, Robert M said:

I do not claim to be an insider, but I remember 720 originally "rumored" as the 2020 GT500 horsepower spec. 720HP and 4200+ lbs would have had its way with a Hellcat Challenger at 707HP and I believe that was the original plan............Then everyone was noticing the "slow walk" of the GT500 specs, the car was unveiled but still everything was secret, so what changed???..............The 797 Red Eye Challenger came on the scene, during all of the GT500 hype, after the mule car was built.

Like I said, I am no insider, but I believe the 797HP Red Eye Challenger caught Ford/SVT by surprise............"Pants Down" as it were. Suddenly there is a scramble to retune the 2020 GT500 and also get the new HP certified. Then, finally 760HP was announced as the official number, but the weight? there was no changing that, the parts had been designed, engineered and ready for the production cars.

Just my thought as an outside observer of the 2020 GT500 from earliest rumors to reality now.

There is no magic, it takes power to move weight and 4200+lbs is going backward in the performance car world, but if you add enough power to anything, it can fly.....It would have been much cooler at 3900 or 3950 as was also originally rumored, and then 760HP (or even the original 720).

The 2020 GT500 is still a very cool car, but most car enthusiast have also said that about the Challenger since 2008.........then the porky weight mention quickly follows after the "cool look" comment.

R

I agree totally with what you posted....who cares what the GT500 weighs if it puts amazing #'s down looks great then it's irrelevant.

I would guess that the engineers tried to minimize the weight, but things have weight to them, and what can you remove that isn't absolutely necessary.  It may not be bare bones, but from a production standpoint, it's probably close.

As an engineering program manager, I can attest that most projects are driven by schedule, then by meeting technical specs.  If you can make it lighter in the end, that's a bonus.

I believe that will be the weight, but the horsepower to weight ratio is phenomenal and I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised when we start seeing lap times. Saw a video today where it appears to be faster around Grattan Raceway than the unofficial track record holder, Dodge Viper ACR. It's no slouch. 

Will it be hard on consumables? You bet. 

• Like 1

Ford hasn’t really been that focused on publishing lap times. For quite a while they have been building cars based on overall performance and let the lap times fall where they may. Their primary focus is more on building a car that appeals to the public that provides a good driving experience that will sell well…….meaning plenty of performance with a balance of creature comfort options. The lap times will be what they will be. That formula has worked well for them as the Mustang continues to pretty much outsell the Camaro and Challenger combined.

I too wish the GT500 would have come in under 4000 lbs but when you have 760 hp you have to build the car with thick enough and strong enough materials to handle the twisting, torquing and punishment of that level of power can induce on a car. It is rumored that the track pack option will shave about 100 lbs off the car. I still like the car and what they did with it styling wise, and maybe in the future there will be other weight saving options.

1 hour ago, mhr1961 said:

Ford hasn’t really been that focused on publishing lap times. For quite a while they have been building cars based on overall performance and let the lap times fall where they may. Their primary focus is more on building a car that appeals to the public that provides a good driving experience that will sell well…….meaning plenty of performance with a balance of creature comfort options. The lap times will be what they will be. That formula has worked well for them as the Mustang continues to pretty much outsell the Camaro and Challenger combined.

I too wish the GT500 would have come in under 4000 lbs but when you have 760 hp you have to build the car with thick enough and strong enough materials to handle the twisting, torquing and punishment of that level of power can induce on a car. It is rumored that the track pack option will shave about 100 lbs off the car. I still like the car and what they did with it styling wise, and maybe in the future there will be other weight saving options.

Great post! I 100% agree with this and noticed the same. Yeah the Camaro SS was a tick quicker around a track than the same year Mustang GT but the Mustang won the overall comparison tests every time.

The GT500 seems heavy to me but judging how awesome the GT350 is, I'm sure the 500 will be just as great and then some due to the higher price and horsepower. It looks to pack the equipment to handle the weight and what a serious track racer can throw at it. 

Edited by Secondo