Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We have never done this before, first off. I would much rather have her at home, but the wife wants both daily drivers inside when the weather is bad. So I get it. Anyway, found a space at a very near iStorage facility. A 10 x 20 foot space that is available for $109 per month. A month-to-month type of deal. Anyone have experience doing this? I plan on checking on her weekly, if not every other week, since she will be close. I will want to start her up and run her - drive her if possible (when the roads are totally dry and clear). I will add some Stabil 360 to a full tank of BP 93 octane gas. In the past, folks talk about placing mothballs under the car to keep mice away - if that is a concern. I have a small air compressor that i can take with me each time I go and check on her to keep the tires full. Car cover? What else? If I was leaving her for a month at a time - or worse, without checking on her, that would perhaps be different.

Help or ideas????? Thank you in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah its not that big of deal. I rent a similar unit, 10x25. I leave it for sometimes 6+ months at a time without ever seeing it. The storage unit is in a different state and I travel constantly for work so thats just how it worked out.

 

Definitely disconnect the battery, the drain to run the modules (keyless entry etc) will for sure drain the battery and strain the alternator if you keep jumping. I never add Stabil but do realize the gas will be stale every time and make sure to fill up with fresh gas every time I do pull it out.

 

I wash it and put the car cover on it when it's totally dried. Lock it and disconnect the battery. 

 

I do have some minor flat spotting on my sticky tires but that goes away fast when you start driving.

Mothballs I never bothered with either since these are aluminum buildings usually and mice can't really get in. No wood or drywall to easily chew through and the car is sealed up.

You could leave it for a year without checking on it, it'd be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Macman. We put her away yesterday afternoon. Did the Mouse Magic thing, the dryer sheets thing, the steel wool in the exhaust pipes thing, the Sta-Bil thing, and set a few mouse traps. Hopefully good to go. Crazy thing is that it will be around 60 degrees here in KC the next few days. Saturday, I may get her out for the weekend anyway. I feel I should and want to do this whenever the weather is good, the temps are Ok and the streets are clean. I really want to enjoy it when conditions are right. Having said that, the low next Monday night will be 17 degrees in KC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over inflate the tires to 36.  That doesn't exceed the tire's rating (always on the sidewall).     Stabil in the gas is much better replaced with just simply turning it over and running the engine until it gets to normal operating temp.  Back it out of the garage and warm it up.  Drive it a couple of blocks if you can.

Don't disconnect the battery.  Get a C-Tek battery tender and keep it on, but if you run it every few weeks that's a non-issue.  If the battery is more than 3 or 4 years old consider replacing it.  But do realize that disconnecting the battery will reset the adaptive emissions so if you have OBDII emissions replace the battery and run the drive cycle BEFORE putting it into storage (with the battery tender) or you'll have to do the drive cycle before your next test which is always unplanned and stressful.

I sometimes didn't actually even turn my GT over for a couple of months at a time and it never had any issues. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For keeping mice away there is also a product out there called Freshcab that I use and it seems to work pretty good.  People also use stuff like Bounce fabric softener sheets, and also if I remember right, Zest soap bars or silvers of it, and of course moth balls to, but I don’t really think there good to breath in so be fore warned and I wouldn’t use them inside the car. Yes, I pump up my tires to prevent flat-spotting and fill the tank up with premium and I always use a good fuel stabilizer, you never really know for sure the quality of the gas coming out that pump.  Yes, it always good to use a good battery tender.    Hopes this helps anybody looking to store vehicles, motor cycles or whatever you have with a motor.    Also, just a heads up, I think if your interested Freshcab is available at the Menards store.       Later!          :peelout:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for your ideas and experiences. The Mouse Magic peppermint packets are strong! It even irritated my eyes a bit. I placed a packet on top of each tire as the guy at Suburban Lawn and Garden stated. Spread some dryer sheets inside and outside the car, two mousetraps and steel wool in each of the exhaust tips. I do plan on getting her out when the streets are clear and zero threat of any precipitation. It is only 22 degrees here this morning (KC), but tomorrow 61 and Sunday 57. So i am going to get her out and bring her home for the weekend. i hope to do that often. you never know what winters in Kansas City are going to be like.

Having said all that, I love this car. It is a lifelong dream fulfilled. So you can bet I will do whatever I can to preserve her.

mini pic.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Over inflate the tires to 36.  That doesn't exceed the tire's rating (always on the sidewall).     Stabil in the gas is much better replaced with just simply turning it over and running the engine until it gets to normal operating temp.  Back it out of the garage and warm it up.  Drive it a couple of blocks if you can.

Don't disconnect the battery.  Get a C-Tek battery tender and keep it on, but if you run it every few weeks that's a non-issue.  If the battery is more than 3 or 4 years old consider replacing it.  But do realize that disconnecting the battery will reset the adaptive emissions so if you have OBDII emissions replace the battery and run the drive cycle BEFORE putting it into storage (with the battery tender) or you'll have to do the drive cycle before your next test which is always unplanned and stressful.

I sometimes didn't actually even turn my GT over for a couple of months at a time and it never had any issues. 


 

battery disconnect is better than just leaving it, me and the OP are at istorage type places, no power for a trickle charger. 
 

But agreed, trickle is very nice in saving the battery 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are super particular about your Shelby, I wouldn’t take a chance on sticking steel wool in the exhaust tips. If the tips are chrome or stainless steel and your steel wool which is usually just cheap carbon steel,  you will have dissimilar metal contact and if left in place it may set the stage for some galvanic corrosion. You you wont be able to remove the stains, pits  or discoloration.  Not saying it will happen but it could happen. If you insist on blocking them I would suggest wrapping the steel wool in plastic or a microfiber rag to prevent contact of dissimilar metals……..you might end up with something like what happened with stainless steel hood pins being fastened to aluminum hoods with stainless steel screws…we all know how well that worked out…….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, mhr1961 said:

If you are super particular about your Shelby, I wouldn’t take a chance on sticking steel wool in the exhaust tips. If the tips are chrome or stainless steel and your steel wool which is usually just cheap carbon steel,  you will have dissimilar metal contact and if left in place it may set the stage for some galvanic corrosion. You you wont be able to remove the stains, pits  or discoloration.  Not saying it will happen but it could happen. If you insist on blocking them I would suggest wrapping the steel wool in plastic or a microfiber rag to prevent contact of dissimilar metals……..you might end up with something like what happened with stainless steel hood pins being fastened to aluminum hoods with stainless steel screws…we all know how well that worked out…….

Thanks! Yes, I wrapped up the steel wool balls with old microfiber small cloths when I put her back in the lock-up yesterday afternoon. Great recommendation! Had some guy in an old souped up Chevy pickup roll by as i was detailing the car. He just flat nailed his accelerator to make sure I noticed him. Crazy the full spectrum of  responses folks have to seeing these cars. Everything from smiles and thumbs-up to out-and-out anger and hostility toward them. Weird.

IMG_0755.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey JHawk,

Great looking Shelby! It’s going to be cold here in KC tonight. Glad you were able to get it out over the weekend. 

Be sure to stay out of boost this spring until you use up all of the fuel from the winter storage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ford Fest said:

Hey JHawk,

Great looking Shelby! It’s going to be cold here in KC tonight. Glad you were able to get it out over the weekend. 

Be sure to stay out of boost this spring until you use up all of the fuel from the winter storage. 

 

10 hours ago, Ford Fest said:

Hey JHawk,

Great looking Shelby! It’s going to be cold here in KC tonight. Glad you were able to get it out over the weekend. 

Be sure to stay out of boost this spring until you use up all of the fuel from the winter storage. 

Will do. Too cold to trust the tires anyway! Going to the Mecum auction in early December. I want to demonstrate to the wife that these cars are special. AND... we are going to Ford vs. Ferrari this weekend so she can get a sense of who Carroll Shelby was. We went to the Vegas Shelby mecca a few months ago and she is beginning to see what I mean.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...